Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300 VLAN config advice

devlinr08
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need a little help creating VLAN's on two Cisco SG300's running latest firmware 1.3.7.18.

We have two sites 1km apart and we have a long distance fibre solution connecting both sites, each end of the fibre has one RJ45 port. Currently we carry our data network (x.x.64.x) across this, however I would like to carry our VOIP system (x.x.42.x) over this single line. We cant have either network talking to each other, standard switching wont work as Broadcasts/DHCP requests&offers beat the standard switching and we start getting a DHCP server on x.x.42.x handing out IP to the clients on the (x.x.64.x) network.

As such I need to use the SG300's to separate the traffic completely. I have attached a diagram below, note that only the CIsco SG300's are VLAN capable, the other 4 switches shown are not capable of VLANS. My intentions are to VLAN 3 ports on each Cisco SG300 as follows.

SG300 Site A
- One port to talk to Data switch and to send and receive untagged data to it.
- One port to talk to POE switch and to send and receive untagged data to it.
- One port to connect to the Fibre link and both sent and receive both types of tagged traffic

SG300 Site B
- One port to talk to Data switch and to send and receive untagged data to it.
- One port to talk to POE switch and to send and receive untagged data to it.
- One port to connect to the Fibre link and both sent and receive both types of tagged traffic

I am of course open to suggestions like only tagging the VOIP traffic in some way and letting the data traffic without VLANS, am new to these Cisco small business devices and the GUI looks simple but the actual step by step methods of doing this so far has not worked. If your familiar with these switches I would really appreciate a step by step.

Kind regards

3 Replies 3

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4

You should have a trunk link between Site A and Site B. The voice and data networks should be in separate VLANs. 

Michael,

Thanks, this is what I have been attempting to do but testing it its either the comms does not work, or the traffic is getting across to the other network.

Really I need pointers in terms of VLAN settings/Interface Settings/Port to VLAN/Port VLAN membership etc on the GUI as all attempts to create two VLANS that talk to non vlan kit and also carry both over the trunk and only out to its respective VLAN on the other side is failing. Either I get no pings going to where they should be, or I get broadcast traffic coming from the wrong place.

Here is a guide that should help with all the questions you are asking.

http://networklessons.com/switching/cisco-small-business-switch-vlan-configuration/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X