cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500-28 2 Switch Stack Configuration Question

Stephen Wyndham
Level 1
Level 1

I have two SG500-28 port switches that I want to setup as a stack for failover purposes for an NFS storage device. The NAS will be on one VLAN (VLAN2) and the other VLAN (VLAN1) will be for domain server and users. I'm setting the configuration up to be;

Each switch will have ports 1-6 &13-18 for VLAN 2 and ports 7-12 & 19-24 for VLAN1

NFS NAS with teamed NICs and an IP of 172.16.10.10 on VLAN2, with on of each of the NICs going to each of the switches.

Server with teamed NICs and an IP 192.168.10.10 on VLAN1 with on of each of the NICs going to each of the switches, users will be spread across the two switches.

The stacking function is pretty straight forward, and setting up VLANs via the ports is again straight forward, but I'm not sure if there are any other settings I should configure on the switch to allow the load balancing of the server across the two switches.

Any tips would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Biz365,

I think you are missing link aggregation here for teamed NIC on NAS and server.

The correct order would be:

1. set stack - which I guess you have already done

2. configure LAG with LACP or without depending on the other end

3. configure logical part of Port Channel/LAG/Etherchannel as access port for respective VLAN

to check if all is good to go use:

1. show stack

2. show spanning-tree port-channel -  to see if the LAG is operational like one interface

3. show mac address-table interface port-channel - to check for correct operational VLAN

Regards,

Aleksandra

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Biz365,

I think you are missing link aggregation here for teamed NIC on NAS and server.

The correct order would be:

1. set stack - which I guess you have already done

2. configure LAG with LACP or without depending on the other end

3. configure logical part of Port Channel/LAG/Etherchannel as access port for respective VLAN

to check if all is good to go use:

1. show stack

2. show spanning-tree port-channel -  to see if the LAG is operational like one interface

3. show mac address-table interface port-channel - to check for correct operational VLAN

Regards,

Aleksandra

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X