Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 52P with L3 mode

Hello: I have a SG500 52P switch configured in L2 mode. I need change this status to L3 but I have read if i do it the Switch will be restored to Factory status. Someone can help me? I think i need actívate L3 mode to créate Vlan interfaces with their own ip address and routing between they. Thank you.
6 Replies 6

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alvaro,

It is true that the device will erase its configuration. However if you make a configuration copy prior to changing L2 to L3 and edit in text document by removing system mode switch and replacing system mode router, you should be able to upload configuration after the change is made. Bear in mind that there could be some settings not supported in layer 3 mode so you might have to carefully review the configurations made in layer 2 mode.

I hope this helps,

Aleksandra

Hi Aleksandra:

Do you know if i can download the file configuration, change the field what you said to me and upload it modified?

Do you think it could be a good solution?

Thanks Aleksandra.

Hi Alvaro,

The exact steps are as below:

1. make a copy of the current configuration

2. edit the configuration text file by changing system mode switch to system mode router (and the other way around)

3. change switch system mode as needed

4. upload the configuration file

So you still need to change system mode before uploading. System mode can be changed via web interface Administration-->System Setting or CLI: set system mode router

If you have done many settings before and just realized that you need more than 1 IP interfaces this is the quickest solution. And yes, if you need several IP interfaces on switch it needs to be set to L3.

Regards,

Aleksandra

Thank you Aleksandra.

Hi Aleksandra:

I have done what you indicated and it runs, but i´ve found a problem. After restore de configuration file, i have lost the port assignment to vlan and port security configuration. It doesn´t matter but i would like to know if i can save this also and how.

The operation have been easy and quickly. I write the steps to someone:

1) Save Running-Config in a text file

2) Change L2 to L3 mode

The Switch lose its configuration

3) Connect the laptop by serial port and hyper terminal

4) Change de default password and configure de interface vlan 1 with the management ip.

5) Connect RJ45 cable to one port on this vlan and access by web navigator.

6) You can restore your configuration with your text file.

Thank you very much.

Hi Alvaro,

Quite difficult what is happening when you applying configuration via web interface. Did you see any error?

Can you share with me privately the old configuration file?

Regards,

Aleksandra