cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 VLAN, 802.1q and Vmware Setup Problem

Roger1000
Level 1
Level 1
I'm trying to setup an SG500 28 switch for a Vmware 5 environment with multiple VLANs.  I'm having difficulty undertanding how to configure a supported trunk for the VLAN routing that supports Vmware's need for a 802.1q trunk.  Typically I would use the following commands on a cisco switch but this unit does not support all the commands.

Is there a way to specifically achieve the switchport encapsulation dot1q setting in any other way on this switch (SG500-28)?? 
*** I'm really looking to configure a supported trunk for this build because I can not communicate within VLAN's and within VLAN's for my virtual hosts.

This is a Cisco Switch  port TRUNK sample configuration.

Apply the following  commands to Cisco Switch command line:

• interface  GigabitEthernet1/1
  • description VMware ESX - Trunk A - NIC 0 – Port Description
  • switchport trunk encapsulation  dot1q – ESX only supports dot1q and not ISL
  • switchport trunk allowed vlan 100,200 –  Allowed VLANs
  • switchport mode trunk – Enables  Trunk
  • switchport nonegotiate – ESX/ESXi does  not support DTP dynamic trunking protocol. When configuring trunk port, set it  to nonegotiate.
  • spanning-tree portfast trunk – Enables  PortFast on the interface when it is in trunk mode.

Thanks,

Roger

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Roger, try the following;

config t

int gi1/1

no macro auto smartport <- disable smart port for detecting link

switchport mode general <- sets port to 802.1 q

switchport general ingress-filter disable <- removes filtering of vlan tag for the ingress

switchport general allowed vlan add 100,200 tagged  (or untagged, however you need it) <- allowed the vlan on the port

spanning-tree portfast <- enables port fast

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Roger, try the following;

config t

int gi1/1

no macro auto smartport <- disable smart port for detecting link

switchport mode general <- sets port to 802.1 q

switchport general ingress-filter disable <- removes filtering of vlan tag for the ingress

switchport general allowed vlan add 100,200 tagged  (or untagged, however you need it) <- allowed the vlan on the port

spanning-tree portfast <- enables port fast

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Sam Sanders
Level 1
Level 1

On my switch it does not have the "switchport mode general" or "switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q" - I get an error (you know, the ol' invalid command or syntax with the little marker).  The switches are catalyst WS-C2960-24TC-L with the Cisco LAN Base software.  They are less than 3 years old.  I hope this means that the encapsulation is set to 802.1Q by default.  Does anyone know for sure, or how I can tell?  Many thanks!

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X