Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500X - 10GbE - Cat6 - which SFP

sam.moles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Okay I have looked and looked though the user guide but cannot find the correct SFP to use for 10G uplinks.

At the moment I use 2x SFP-H10GB-CU1M's for stacking in ports S1/S2. I also need 2x 10GbE Copper SFP's for my uplinks in XG1/XG2 which I am able to cable my own cat6 cable to (not premade cable like the stack cables).

I beleive I am looking for compatable 10GBASE-T SFP's?

The only ones I can see in the admin guide are:

Cisco SFP-10GSR

Cisco SFP-10GLRM

Cisco SFP-10GLR

but I dont think any of these are what I need.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

sam.moles
Level 1
Level 1

Has nobody got any ideas?

All I need is to know how to plug my 10G Cat6 into my SG500

Thanks!!!

Hi Sam, I'm confused. Cat 6 is a 1 gig wire. You'd need fiber for more than 1 gig.

Any of the 10 gig SFP can service as an interconnect, not just stack connection.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

mbolton258
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sam,

Cisco does not have a compatible 10GBase-T for the SG500X. Although Cat6 could handle 10G up to 50m, it requires a lot more power out of the SFP. I am not sure if that switch is engineered to support it even if a future firmware upgrade came along. You can use the premade Twinax cables like you used for stacking or you can use optics. The SFP-10G-SR would do 10G up to 300m if you are using at least OM3 multimode fiber which is aqua in color. Hope this helps.

Mike

madcarpe
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sam,

Thank you for posting on the forums, I just wanted to offer you a link to the SG500 series data sheet. This will tell you the cables that are compatible with the SG500X. You can find cabling information under Product Specifications.

Cisco 500 Series Stackable Managed Switches Data Sheet

Hope this helps,

Madison

MMoharam1
Level 1
Level 1

hi sam

cisco manufacture now a 10gbase-t switch   

SG500XG-8F8T

SG500XG-8F8T-K9

8*10 Gigabit Ethernet 10GBase-T copper port
 8*10 Gigabit Ethernet SFP+