Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500X - Stacking and 10GbE Uplink together

sam.moles
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am using a SG500x in native stacking mode, utilizing the S1/S2 ports operating at 10g.

My question is, in this mode am I able to simultaniously use the XG1/XG2 ports as 10Gb uplinks? The manual doesnt make it obvious at all!

If I can both stack and uplink at the same time can anybody also let me know if I get the full 40Gb bandwidth?

Lastly I need a 10GbE SPF module so I can run cat6 from the X1/X2 ports to the 10GbE nics on my cluster but can work out which one is compatable!!

Sorry lots of questions!

Thanks guys

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sam, you can use the stack ports and the other 2 10 gig ports. S1/S2 are default stack ports. The S3/S4 would be considered network ports at that time but may be toggled over to use S3/S4 instead of S1/S2.

The switch capacity is 128 gbps on th 24 port model, 176 gbps on the 48 port models. So if you say a 48 port switch.  48x1 = 48. 10x4 = 40. 40+48 = 88.  88x2 = 176.

You should get the desired result (if you could actually utilize the 10 gig link to it's capacity, a lot of internet backhauls aren't even utilized to full 10 gig).

For SFP capatibility, you can reference the admin guide. It has all supported modules. Once you choose your supported module you should talk to your NIC vendor which one should work with your cluster.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sam, you can use the stack ports and the other 2 10 gig ports. S1/S2 are default stack ports. The S3/S4 would be considered network ports at that time but may be toggled over to use S3/S4 instead of S1/S2.

The switch capacity is 128 gbps on th 24 port model, 176 gbps on the 48 port models. So if you say a 48 port switch.  48x1 = 48. 10x4 = 40. 40+48 = 88.  88x2 = 176.

You should get the desired result (if you could actually utilize the 10 gig link to it's capacity, a lot of internet backhauls aren't even utilized to full 10 gig).

For SFP capatibility, you can reference the admin guide. It has all supported modules. Once you choose your supported module you should talk to your NIC vendor which one should work with your cluster.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Many thanks for your time Tom, Thats exactly what I was hoping!

All the best!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X