Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2000:how to enable Multicasting?

KidStealth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

we have a server deploying images via pxe to several clients the same time and want to enable muticasting at our sge2000 switch. i tried to read the help/support manuals of the switch concerning multicasting but i have no clue (and don't want to make things worse too *g*) - help/support manual of the sge2000 switch just explains functions with itself a la "to enable xx you have to enable xx" :-(

the scenario is the following

we have 15 vlans bound to ports 1-15 and another vlan (backbone) at port 19-22

our pxe server is in the backbone vlan and i want to allow distribution to vlan 1-15.

i would really appreciate any help or hint/tutorial on how to get this thing done.

regards

mark

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mark,

See if this posting can help you;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3103605#3103605

But I guess you have a Layer 3 multicast router on your network that will act as a Layer 3 querier.

regards Dave

Hi Dave,

i've read the part in the manual (found it in a previous search) but it is not helpful. the corresponding topics just explain how to enable e.g. IGMP Snooping or how to create Multicast Groups etc.

What i'm missing is an explanation what to do to achieve my goal (post above). do i have to enable IGMP Snooping? Do i have to create those Groups etc. ?  And what VLANs should i group together?...

Can't find any helpful information for this topic :-(

p.s. the switch itself is in layer-3 mode (if thats what you were guessing)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X