cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010P VLAN to support SonicPOINT

prouse
Level 1
Level 1

I have inherited this mixed network and need some guidance.  I am trying to configure a group of SGE2010P switches connected to a core Juniper switch to support multiple SonicPOINT access points.  In order for the SonicWALL firewall to control the SonicPOINT's, it needs to communicate directly with the SonicPOINTS on a series of VLAN's.  The first VLAN must be an untagged VLAN that is different than the default VLAN 1.  Additional VLAN's are used to support specific wireless networks.

VLAN 100 = Configuration VLAN

VLAN 2 = Secure Wireless SSID VLAN

VLAN 3 = Pulbic Wireless SSID VLAN

Example:

Port 1 on the Cisco SGE2010P switch is connected to a SonicPOINT access point

Desired Configuration of Port 1:

Untagged on VLAN 100

Tagged on VLAN 2 & VLAN 3

VLAN 1 can not be associated with this port at all. 

Port 24 on the SGE2010P is a fiber connection to the core Juniper switch.  Both ends of the fiber are configured as follows:

Trunked Port

Untagged on VLAN 1

Tagged on VLAN 2, 3 & 100

The Cisco will not allow me to replace the untagged VLAN 1 (the Default VLAN) for Port 1 with VLAN 100.  It will allow me to add the additional untagged VLAN 100 to the untagged VLAN 1 on Port 1.  This means that two VLAN's will be untagged on the same port.  I don't usually work with Cisco switches.  However, I have a lot of experience with ProCurve's and other enterprise level swithces.  This is the first time I have seen a switch that allows two untagged VLAN's on the same port. 

The SonicWALL wireless controller can not see the SonicPOINT connected to the Cisco switch when using VLAN 100.  How can I remove VLAN 1 from the configuration of Port 1 on the Cisco so only the untagged VLAN 100 remains?

Thanks for the help.

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Paul, this is an old switch and has some caveats... best I'd recommend is one of two things. Either call the SBSC support (if you have configuration warranty) or if you like we can set up a team viewer session some time and jack around with this.

These switches are largely unfriendly and at this point in time my capacity for memory of all the... "how to do and not to do" has diminished to the point that I'd need a switch to remind me.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks for the reply.  I did eventually figure this out.  The key was to go into the VLAN section and then configure the ports that would be directly connected to my access points.  The critical modification was to change the PVID from 1 to 100 (100 is the VLAN ID I am using for the configuration of the SonicPoints).  This basically made the port untagged in ONLY vlan 100.  VLAN 1 is no longer associated with the port at all.  The rest of my tagging was correct with the initial configuration.

This is definetly not a friendly GUI.  Even saving the settings is cumbersome. 

The GUI on those switches is slow and unfriendly for sure.  A little late for you perhaps, but there is a secret unsupported CLI available that I found useful on many ocassions:

http://lcli.wikidot.com/entering-lcli

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --