Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SLM2008 Transmit Hash Policy

Does anyone know which transmit hash policies are supported by the SLM2008? I can't find this information in any of the documentation for this switch, all that is stated is that it supports Link Aggregation using IEEE 802.3ad LACP.

I'm connecting to a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro that supports Layer 2 and Layer 3+4 transmit hash policies and I'm not sure which to choose (or whether it matters).

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: SLM2008 Transmit Hash Policy

I have just arrived at the same question when I found that all traffic was going via one member in one of my tests.

I have a Synology 1511+ using LAG (LACP) to SLM2008 with two PCs (non LAG) transmitting. I tried changing one of the IP address but made no difference, which makes me think that it's not IP (DST and/or SRC IP hash).

I have a strong suspicion that it could be MAC hashing as when I tested with a different set of computers, I was able to utilise both members.

If I do manage to get another NIC (that hopefully will hash the other way) and test, I will post back.

WRT your NAS' hash policy, it depends on how many devices will be doing most of the transfers to/from the NAS, and what kinds of applications.

If you have a large number (eg more than 4), I would definitely include L4 info as the diversity in the L4 ports should give you a good distribution. But this is only when your NAS is transmitting. On the other hand, if you're like me where I have two main devices that will do 90% of the transfers and all via SMB, I would choose L3 and make one of the IP +1 of the other.

Cisco Employee

Re: SLM2008 Transmit Hash Policy

Didn't have to buy a new NIC. Just tested by changing my MAC address by +1. Now both LAG members are being utilised.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content