cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SLM2048 - System light blinking nonstop

chadboy69
Level 1
Level 1

After unplugging, moving, then plugging back in my SLM2048 switch the system light flashes nonstop.  The switch was working perfectly before it was unplugged.  I have tried holding in the reset button for 10 seconds which causes all the ports to light up and flash briefly but does not fix the issue.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

8 Replies 8

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds as if your switch is stuck in a "system self-test".  Have you tried a reboot via the GUI (Admin>Reboot>)?  I would have thought that either resetting it with the reset button like you've done or merely powering it off and back on would clear that.  Just out of curiosity, you state you relocated the switch, have you verified the power source where you have moved it to?  Not sure that would cause your issue but something to look into before calling the Small Business Support Center and opening a ticket.

Best Regards,

Glenn

I forgot to mention that I am unable to even open the GUI.  I did verify the power at the new location that the switch will be and it was normal. I thank you for your response but it looks like I'll have to making that phone call anyway.  Thanks again!

Do you have any news on this? Because my SLM248G behaves exactly the same today... The only difference is that it was not powered down/nor mooved from it's location.

I ended up calling Cisco and they told me that it was a problem that I would not be able to resolve on my own. They had me return the device and replaced it entirely with a new one and even extended the warrenty on the replacement to compensate for the 6 months I had had the previous.  It took about 6 days for me to get the replacement once I had shipped mine.  Probably not the news you wanted to hear but I hope it helps you in some way.

Thank you very much for your answer! Surely, not the news I wanted to hear especially since I have mine for almost two years and I don't know if my warranty still covers it :(

You can locate the warranty information on the Cisco Small Business products here.  The document at this link indicates the SLM2048 has a 5 year warranty.

They were able to tell me about the warrenty on mine (5 years) after I gave them the serial number.  They did a great job taking care of me and getting a new one to me as quickly as possible.  Hopefully the same happens for you.

Best of luck!  :)

At this point I recommend you contact the Small Business Support Center at this link to open a ticket to work with you on further troubleshooting or replacement of the unit.

Best Regards,

Glenn