Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SRW2024 + SRW2048 Uplink problem

Hi all.

I have two switches SRW2024 and SRW2048

I had connected on SRW2048 (Switch 1) only PC and on SRW 2024 (Switch2)  iscsi SAN, server ESX and a couple of NAS.

I use to uplink port 12 of 2024 and 48 of 2048.

Now in this situation when i connect from my PC (Switch 1) to SERVER ESX and try to upload a datastore the speed is very slow.

If i change the position of my ethernet cable PC from Switch 1 to Switch 2 che connection is perfect, because not pass from the uplink and go direct on the switch.

I think the problem is on the uplink cable, i try to change the cable and the port, use optical miniGb... but the result not change.

For now i don' t have any VLAN, use normal setting default on the switch without trunk or other settings.

Another thing... if i use 2 normal switch  without managment... work perfect, the problem is the setting of uplink managment on SRW2024\2048.

Any Idea ?

Thanks to all for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Hello,What you are describing

Hello,

What you are describing is quite odd, because when you aren't crossing VLANs everything should really happen at wire speed, there may be a bit of a slowdown because of the extra link, but it should be almost unnoticeable.

A few things I would try are a different cable for the uplink, make sure it is Cat5E, since Cat5 can give you some issues with a gigabit connection.  I would also try setting the duplex and port speed manually to 1000/full just to eliminate auto-negotiation as a problem.

I would also try using a different set of ports to connect the two switches if the issue persists.

Just to confirm, right now all of your devices are in the same subnet and VLAN correct?

How much of a speed difference are we talking about here?  Can you give some transfer speed numbers for PC to datastore on same switch and when they are on different switches?

Hope some of that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

2 REPLIES
Silver

Hello,What you are describing

Hello,

What you are describing is quite odd, because when you aren't crossing VLANs everything should really happen at wire speed, there may be a bit of a slowdown because of the extra link, but it should be almost unnoticeable.

A few things I would try are a different cable for the uplink, make sure it is Cat5E, since Cat5 can give you some issues with a gigabit connection.  I would also try setting the duplex and port speed manually to 1000/full just to eliminate auto-negotiation as a problem.

I would also try using a different set of ports to connect the two switches if the issue persists.

Just to confirm, right now all of your devices are in the same subnet and VLAN correct?

How much of a speed difference are we talking about here?  Can you give some transfer speed numbers for PC to datastore on same switch and when they are on different switches?

Hope some of that helps,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

HI Chrebert, thanks for start

SOLVED !!!

Two ports on my switch SRW2048 (Ports 47-48) working on normal network but have a problem when need to manage iSCSI traffic, i connect cable in the other ports for test and work fine !!!

Maybe the electronic inside of port 47-48 have some problem, i don't know this, but this switch have 6 years of service with 24h.\365d. and maybe some ports are in end-life.

Thank you very much for your help !!!

Views
Helpful
Replies