Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW2024P web front end lost after installing firmware 1.2.9

CostaTsaousis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I own a SRW2024P switch. I installed the latest available firmware and now the web front end is lost. It just shows an empty web page without any additional information, not even the login prompt. I tried the https alternative without luck either (it sends the certificate correctly, but only an empty page is presented, without any login prompt).

The telnet interface is working properly.

I tried to flash the firmware again, with the same results.

Any ideas?

Costa

19 Replies 19

Costa: Your wget was a real good one. Viewing the page source in explorer reveals the same page content and it's identical to what you have already posted, a java script command to close the page.

I have just spend my morning online chatting with Cisco support and I have to get back at my earlier remark on their service. For products like this you have to contact Small Business Support. That's something Big Business Support could have told me too, but they're forgiven.

Of course I had to go through the whole script of trying different browsers, editing the registry on my server (!) etc. The WebEx application crashed, so I had to go thought it three times, but the guys are skillful and helpful. They even tried to reproduce our problem on a machine in their lab. Very good. The last guy eventually suggested that this new firmware may not be fully compatible with my hardware revision, or that something is just broken.

Cisco doesn't recommend firmware downgrades and they didn't recommend me to use the switch in that state. Instead they offered me to replace it. And the best thing is: They will replace it in advance. My whole network depends on this switch, so I am really helped out here.

These switched come with a 5 year warranty, and they're not on the market for 5 years yet, so your switch is probably covered by warranty too. So I recommend you to make use of Cisco's excellent service too.

I'm sorry, but as somebody here has already explained, it's not a browser problem. I have tried both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 5 on my SBS2008 server. I have also tried Safari 5 on my MacBook. None of those work, it's not a browser problem.

IE8 on my server worked just fine with the old firmware. Safari 5 did not and Firefox support was rather poor. (On a side note: Does anybody else see the irony in the worlds largest network equipment supplier being picky about the web browser used?)

Anyway, just to rule out the browser, I too have tried the Unix wget command on the switch' IP address and I too got the HTML command to close the browser window.

Ok, it's definitely a firmware problem: I have just reverted back to version 1.0.4 using the icky telnet interface and the web front end is accessible again. But this leaves my switch in an unsupported state, so what should it do? It came with a 5 year warranty, so technically I could return it.

Robert,

The issue your seeing is a browser issue.  The switch is designed to support IE5 to 7.  Unfortunately for those switches IE8 does not work well with them.  However the IEtab2 add-on for Firefox is works just fine for people not running Windows platforms or they have IE8 on the box.

The new sf/sg300 series switches that Cisco has come out with is supported on both firefox and internet explorer browsers.

If you could try a machine with IE7 as the browser with the latest firmware and you shouldn't have any issues with it.

It cannot be a browser issue, because when I look at the page's source code it look like this:

However, your firmware can repond differently to different browsers and as a result attempt to close my browser window if an 'unsupported' browser is used. Besided the question wheter you can force your customers to use a deprecated version of a single browser, would showing a warning about an incompatible browser still be preferable above blunlty closing the browser window...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X