Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

SRW2048 Trunking issue

I have a string of switches trunked together, all the VLANS on the different switches work together fine. but the issue is with the management interfaces of any switch "downstream" of the srw2048, the map is Router---->Srw2048---->3750ps---->2960 each of these switches has the same 5 VLANS configured.

The srw2048 is 192.168.1.254

The 3750 is 192.168.1.252

the 2960 is 192.168.1.250

I can get to the srw2048 management interface, but not the 3750 or 2960. If I connect a device to an access port on any switch, it is assigned an IP and functions properly on the network.

If I remove the swr2048 and just use the 3750 and 2960, the two hosts can talk fine, so I think I have a configuration problem on the srw2048. I have the uplunk from the srw2048 to the 3750 set as a Trunk and all VLAN membership.

Do I need to use the LAG function in the srw2048? I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Everyone's tags (1)
5 REPLIES

Hi,I guess the problem could

Hi,

I guess the problem could be related to the auto smartport macro switch which is active on this port.

Please take a look on the running config also please check mac address table on SRW for this specific port to see if the management vlan has MAC address entry in particularly from catalyst 3750.

If you have some doubts please feel free to share your configuration with m using private message.

Regards,

Aleksandra

I figured out how to make it

I figured out how to make it work, but I'm not sure if it's best practice.  I changed the uplink port that connects to the downstream switches to "General" instead of Trunk, I assigned the management VLAN as the PVID, it works now.  I may revisit once I get the ring completed.

Oh, I also assigned a MAC address to the uplink port to the 3750, but that did not resolve the issue.

Hello,What is your current

Hello,

What is your current VLANs setting on this port? The management VLAN with PVID is tagged or untagged?

Regards,

Aleksandra

All VLANs are allowed and

All VLANs are allowed and tagged on this trunk port, this is what confuses me. In theory it should not be discarding anything with correct VLAN tag...right?  By setting the port to General and a PVID of the management VLAN, I'm sending packets that would be discarded to the management VLAN?

I admit that this is my first run it with one of these Cisco small business switches.

Hi,so the trunk 802.1q

Hi,

so the trunk 802.1q concept requires to have VLAN untagged with PVID and the other must be tagged. That should match on both ends.

General mode allows basically any settings. Basically all the packet with VLAN tag would be forwarded as per tag and those packets with no tag should be classified as per PVID. Perhaps the management VLAN on the other end of the trunk is not tagged...

can you tell me what are the detailed settings on both ends?

such as 100T, 200T, 1P etc

Aleksandra

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content