cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches for Access, Distribution, and Core Layer

marcusarevalo
Level 1
Level 1

I have this case study in school and we are tasked to build a network in a school. So we've decided to use the three layer hierarchical model. I'm not sure about what switch is best for these layers but I've decided that I'll use 3750 for the Access layer, 4500E for the Distribution layer, 6500 for the Core layer. Are these the ideal switches for each layer? If not, could you suggest any switch that is better than the current? Need your suggestions or thoughts about this. Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Marco,

A distribution layer would be excessive for a school network. The core switch would have enough port density to connect to each 3750, even if you where using EtherChannel.

The 3750 could be replaced with a 2960S assuming you do not need stack more than 4 together, and that you are not planning on doing any routing at the edge.

As for your selection of components, what is the budget? Money no object?

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb, thanks for replying. My groupmates and I have already decided that we're going to have a distribution layer. So basically, is 3750 enough to be the backbone/core of the network? We're configuring the to have a Layer 3 design so that makes me choose on 3750 on distrib and core rathen than 2960 switches cause I think that's better than Layer 2 though I don't know specifically what makes it better. Do you know? So I could have a thorough explanation when I present it to my professor. As for the budget, the case study didn't give us any limit so I think layer 3 would be a better choice than layer 3. Thanks Sib, appreciate it.