cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches have a VTP Mode set to “server” can I set them to “Transparent” on a live network?

jwhausk001
Level 1
Level 1

Currently our cisco 2960 switches at location "B" have a VTP Mode set to “server” I want to change this to “Transparent”

They have VLAN1-default (active) 10.1.10.81; VLAN2-patron(active) 192.168.10.2; VLAN3-vlan0003(suspended) no ipaddress; VLAN4-vlan0004(suspended) 192.168.20.2

I want to delete VLAN3 and VLAN4

The connection between loc "A" and "B" is set to “Static Access VLAN1” I need to change it to “Trunk Nonnegotiate Vlan all” for our vlan2 at loc "B" to work.

Reason for this change, when I added these switches to our network about 6 months ago it brought my network down, Knowing what I know now I think they wrote their settings to all the other switches that were vtp server switches on our network, VLAN3 and 4 were set to active at that time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bert.verhaeghe
Level 1
Level 1

Switching from server to transparent vtp mode will not disrupt your network, the existing vlans will still be available, modifications however will need to be executed manually on the transparent mode switches.

If the interfaces between location A and B are configured as access ports, VTP will not work as it is only in effect on trunk links.

Before adding switches to an existing VTP domain, best practise is to configure transparent mode to set the revision number to 0. This way the VLAN database of existing switches will not be altered when connecting the switch.

HTH,

Bert

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

bert.verhaeghe
Level 1
Level 1

Switching from server to transparent vtp mode will not disrupt your network, the existing vlans will still be available, modifications however will need to be executed manually on the transparent mode switches.

If the interfaces between location A and B are configured as access ports, VTP will not work as it is only in effect on trunk links.

Before adding switches to an existing VTP domain, best practise is to configure transparent mode to set the revision number to 0. This way the VLAN database of existing switches will not be altered when connecting the switch.

HTH,

Bert