cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two SG300 VLAN Help

Brad Jennings
Level 1
Level 1

Probably more pressing information than what is below, but if I have a SG300 in layer 3 mode, can it handle multiple DHCP scopes using one nic out of the server, or do I need to add a router.           

I have two SG300's that I'm working with and I could use a little help.

I have switch one in Layer 3 mode.  Switch 2 in layer 2 mode.  I've created a vlan 500 on both and still have vlan 1.  Gigabit 1 on Switch one goes to Gigabit 10 on switch 2.  I put that in trunk mode. 

Gigabit 10 on switch 1 goes to a Win2008 server.

It is a production server with an address of 172.16.0.40/255.255.240.0.  I port 10 (win2008) on switch 1 is in vlan 1 and vlan 500.  I gave my 2008 server another address of 172.16.16.3 and setup vlan 500's address to 172.16.16.1.

My question is.......am I starting out right?  And on switch 2, if I take a port not being used and put a workstation on it, what do I set the port to so that it only sees the 172.16.16.0 network.

Thanks for any suggestions / help.

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Brad, if your DHCP server supports option 82 and has the appropriate routes about anything is possible.

For a port to see only the 172.16.16.x network, the port should be configured as an access port to the VLAN that is serviced by 172.16.16.x.

To get DHCP to different subnets, you'd need to enable DHCP relay with option 82 on the switch and define the DHCP server.

For the last question, the switch 2, this depends how you're using the switch. Do you want to use both VLAN or only 1 VLAN? If you're using only 1 VLAN, you configure the first switch as an access port to the 172.16.16.x VLAN then on the second with create the 172.16.16.x VLAN and assign an access port connecting to the first switch and an access port connecting to the computer.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

OK, I am wrapping my brain around this a little bit better. 

Win2008R2 doesn't officially support option 82 (if I am reading things correctly).  So, what would be my best next option. 

Am I correct to assume that if I want one vlan on switch 2, then access mode.....more than one vlan on switch 2, I use trunk mode

Thanks for all your help.

Hi Brad, to make things easier, the switch does support 8 DHCP pools and every DHCP option (hex value). So if your network is 8 subnets or below, the switch can manage and route for you.

To answer your question - if you want to interconnect 2 switch with multiple VLAN then it should be a trunk with the desired VLAN a member of that trunk port.

For your argument sake, by default I think it would be VLAN 1 untag, VLAN 500 tag if you want to interconnect the switch and service VLAN 1 and VLAN 500 on your second switch.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I may just go with the DHCP server on the switch for the time being then.  Thanks for the info.  It is nice to be able to ask someone and know the reason what I wanted to work wasn't going to work with the equipment I currently have.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X