cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to communicate with time clock across VLANS

Wayne Brewster
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where i am installing SGE2000Ps to replace my old switches and configuring VLANS. The time clock will not communicate across the VLANS. If I unplug the network cable and plug it back in I will get two successful pings. If i use a PC configured with the same network settings as the time clock and plug it into the port for the time clock it communcates fine. Have any one come across this problem?

9 Replies 9

alepatte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business forum.

I am sorry that you experience this issue. 

I have a question for you.  What is providing clocking on your network?

The switch operates only as an SNTP client, and cannot provide time services to other systems.   So, you can configure it time manually by going:

System > System Management > Time > System Time;

To avoid any issues on your network. I would suggest to use one common SNTP server for all of your network devices. On the switch you can configure it here:

System > System Management > Time > SNTP Settings.  If you do not have SNTP server on your network, you can use publicly available one.

Let me know if that helped.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco Small Business Engineer

CCNA

Wayne Brewster
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your response,

I was referring to a time and attendance biometric network device. It will not communicate across VLANs on the SGE2000P but will communicate on the SGE2010P with PortFast disabled. I upgraded the firmware on the SGE2000p but no change. Both switches are in L3 /standalone mode. What is different about these two switches?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Wayne Brewster
Level 1
Level 1

I also want to add that I am able to communicate with the device in the same VLAN.

Hi Wayne,

Make sure that the default gateway on your time and attendance biometric network device is the IP of your switch.  Once you point to the switch as default gateway for your device it should work.

Let mw know if that helps.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

CCNA

Wayne Brewster
Level 1
Level 1

All the basic networking stuff is in hand, let's think at a higher level. If it wasn't then it wouldn't work on the SGE2010P.

Hi Wayne,

Thank you for your quick reply.

To make a good suggestion for your particular situation, I would like to suggest to give us a call at any convenient time for you at 1-866-606-1866 so that we can create a case and look into it in more details.   This way we can establish a webex session and maybe look at the configuration of your device(s).

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

CCNA

Wayne Brewster
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have another number that is not toll free.

Hi Wayne,

Here is the link to the phone numbers that you can use based on your location:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html#csb

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business.

Alena

Wayne,

You can also reach SBSC via chat and they can initiate a webex.

Best

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X