Views
Helpful
Replies

Using mini gbic to stack 2 SGE2010`s

nhaydock1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any major advantage of using the GBIC ports for stacking over the regular gb ports (24 and 48 I beleive?) in terms of performance, stability, etc?

Thanks

Neil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Neil,

So to answer the question simply, there is no extra benefit in using mini GBICs (SFP) compared to a CAT6 cable to connect switches together in a stack.  Both copper or fiber connections  will sync at 1000Mb/sec.

The  only benefit of using mini GBICs or SFP;s is if the connection between the switches are beyond 100 meters or 328 feet.

But I am more than happy to connect switches together with CAT6 cables for stacking purposes, it's more cost effective.

regards Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Neil,

So to answer the question simply, there is no extra benefit in using mini GBICs (SFP) compared to a CAT6 cable to connect switches together in a stack.  Both copper or fiber connections  will sync at 1000Mb/sec.

The  only benefit of using mini GBICs or SFP;s is if the connection between the switches are beyond 100 meters or 328 feet.

But I am more than happy to connect switches together with CAT6 cables for stacking purposes, it's more cost effective.

regards Dave

Cheers Dave, much appreciated!