Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN for VOIP

motegrallc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,
I just purchased two Cisco switches (SGE2010P) for the new Mitel 5000 Phone System. The Mitel vendor programmed and setup the phone system for us, but they couldn’t figure out the VLAN setup on the my switch. So now I have everything on one network and I am stuck on my own to figure the VLAN on my own. So please, if any one can help me with some step by step on the settings on the switches, the router and the server (DHCP).
Here is what I have now:

• 2 floors building with a Cisco SGE2010P switch for each floor.
  • Sonicwall TZ 210 router
  • Windows 2008 R2 server for DHCP
  • Mitel 5000

I have the switch on Layer 2 at this moment, but I can switch it to Layer 3 if that makes the process easier and less steps.
My network as follows:

• Router: 192.168.123.254
  • Windows Server: 192.168.123.9
  • Switches: 192.168.123.5 and 192.168.123.6
  • Mitel 5000 server: 192.168.123.7 (has to be changed)

The PCs are connected to the phones.
Please let me know if you need any more information or have any questions.
Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

HI,

Need to know if the phones can tag the Voice or Data traffic.these switches doesn't have an Auto-Voice vlan so the phones either have to tag DATA and untag Voice traffic or visa/versa Tag Voice and untag DATA traffic. If this is possible then let us know how you plan on setting up the phone and i can show you have to set up the ports on SGE2010P

Jasbryan

We will be using the DHCP server as I mentioned above.

DHCP will tell the phone to reboot and start taggging packets.

Anything new?

Mohammad,

We have to know specifily how the voice and data traffic will be coming from the phone into the Switch. Once we know this informaiton we can advise how to set the switchport as needed.I have never seen this type of confirmation you are mentioning here.

Mohammad Hashash wrote:

We will be using the DHCP server as I mentioned above.

DHCP will tell the phone to reboot and start taggging packets.

Jasbryan

You cannot tell the DHCP to TAG packets for voice VLAN or to reboot.

What type of phones are you using? may be we can figure out if the phone can do VLAN tagging. Once you have the phone tag the voice and VLAN, then you can setup the DHCP to issue IPs for that VLAN and have the Layer 3 routing between the voice and data VLANS.

Here are the high-level steps you will need:

1- First you need to have Layer 3 working

2. Have the voice VLAN tagged from the Phone (If this is a Cisco phone, switch can detect and put the phone to voice vlan automatically).

3. Setup the DHCP for Voice VLAN.

Thats all you will need.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X