Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Want switch for 10 GBPS network within datacenter

Hi All,

I am bit confuse so I am writing this to have some idea.I have a around 16 Production servers at third party data center.Right now servers are connected to Cisco SG 200-50 switch and it gives me 1 GBPS network in all servers.LAN port comming from Firewall/Router is also supporting 1 GBPS network.

I want my all servers within that netwok/datacenter to work on 10 GBPS network for that I am ordering new Broadcom 10GBaseT Network Adapters for servers but what about switch.Will existing switch supports 10 GBPS Ethernet traffic or I have to buy new switch.?

Which switch will be more suitable for this type of scenario ? I am not expert on networking/cisco so I dont want switch that involves more networking knowledge.I just want a switch in which I can just plug all my ethernet cables coming from server and that will give me 10 GBPS netwok.

Can anyone guide me please....Thanks in Advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,As per my post, here is

Hi,

As per my post, here is the Cisco part number I recommend: SG500XG-8F8T

You will need two of these switches for 16 servers and possibly some SFP modules to interconnect the two switches.

Jordan

4 REPLIES

HelloThe switch you have

Hello

The switch you have today (SG200-50) is a Cisco small business 1gbps switch. If you want to go to 10gbps and want affordable, then I recommend the Cisco small business SG500XG-8F8T switch. You will likely need 2x these switches to connect your 16 servers. I would recommend some 10gbps fibre modules and some patch cords to go with.

Here is the datasheet:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/small-business-500-series-stackable-managed-switches/c78-695646_data_sheet.html

If the above does not work for you then you will need to go with a Cisco Catalyst 10-Gig switch. The cost will be more, however.

Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Copper 10g requires Cat6a or better for 100m - i.e. your existing copper Ethernet might not be suitable for 10g.  However, if Cat6, it may support 10g up to about 55m.

Joseph,We already have cat6a

Joseph,

We already have cat6a cables and I need to use this in only one rack.So I guess distance is not a problem  for me.

jeliasoncisco ,

Thanks for the guidance.If you can suggest any other 10G switch if SG200-50 will not work.

Hi,As per my post, here is

Hi,

As per my post, here is the Cisco part number I recommend: SG500XG-8F8T

You will need two of these switches for 16 servers and possibly some SFP modules to interconnect the two switches.

Jordan

Views
Helpful
Replies