Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 VLANS and SG300 routing issue

Eugene Khoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've an SG300-28P as a primary switch. Three WAP321 APs are connected with two SSIDs. A main SSID is served on VLAN 1 and a guest SSID is served on VLAN 2.

On the SG300, I have three trunk ports for the WAP321s since they carry VLAN 1 & VLAN 2. Port 25 on the switch is an access port for VLAN 2 since the guest network is served by its own router and WAN access. The main LAN and Wireless is on the 192.168.101.x network and the guest network (including wired) is on 192.168.24.x.

Connecting wirelessly to the WAP321, I get the appropriate IP addresses (DHCP is served by routers - both are RV042s). On the main network (101), I'm able to ping, access the network. On the guest network, I'm not able to ping the router (192.168.24.222) or the switch 192.168.24.254. However, it's not a problem if I'm on a wired connection to the guest router.

This makes me suspect I've missed some routing or configuration setup on the SG300 for this. Any advice? See the attached diagram below:

Eugenenetwork.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eugene, I am thinking the problem is with the AP.  That is a clear indication by the fact you are wired in and have no problems.

One thing that may be a scenario is external causes. Is your computer exclusively wireless or have you been testing while wired in + wireless? Did you try with a second computer being wireless only?

If you're using a computer(s) strictly wireless, the problem is with the AP and may be somehow "masking" the network devices either.

I know things like captive portal and guest network feature has some protective mechanisms since it is not a guest's business to access network devices. How is the AP set up? Simply with 2 SSID and a user/password?

I think it may be a good idea to look at how that AP is set up provided there is no external factors interfering.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Eugene, I am gathering the switch is layer 3

What happens if you wireless connect to vlan 2 and use static IP 192.168.24.x with a gateway 192.168.24.254 vs a gateway 192.168.24.222?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I've tried that unfortunately and it doesn't work - can't ping .254 or .222. On the WAP321s, I have configured each as their own IP, and gateway listed is 192.168.101.254.

I believe somehow it has to do with the 24.254 and 24.180...

Eugene

What is .24.180? I do not see it on your first post?

-Tom

Sorry Tom, I meant .222. .180 was another router I tested on another port.

Switch is in Layer 3, mode is router. Firmware 1.3.0.62.

At the moment, all other ports except for 13,14,15 and 25 as left at General port settings for now. i.e. 1UP. Port 13-15 are trunk 1UP, 2T and port 25 is 1F, 2UP.

Eugene, I am thinking the problem is with the AP.  That is a clear indication by the fact you are wired in and have no problems.

One thing that may be a scenario is external causes. Is your computer exclusively wireless or have you been testing while wired in + wireless? Did you try with a second computer being wireless only?

If you're using a computer(s) strictly wireless, the problem is with the AP and may be somehow "masking" the network devices either.

I know things like captive portal and guest network feature has some protective mechanisms since it is not a guest's business to access network devices. How is the AP set up? Simply with 2 SSID and a user/password?

I think it may be a good idea to look at how that AP is set up provided there is no external factors interfering.

-Tom

I'm testing/setting up using a Macbook air and a Dell laptop. Both have wireless & wired (via TB dongle for the MBA). The dell is strictly on wireless at the moment as as testbed to see if my config is working. The WAP321s are in a cluster but only one is plugged in right now.

Dang it Tom. You hit the nail on the head!!!!

Went through settings and went to turn off the captive portal. That was it!

Thanks!!! Will slowly turn those back on and setup...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X