Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless AP behind a Cisco SF302-08PP Small Business switch

yamikani2g2
Level 1
Level 1

Scenario or Setup:

I have 3 x 3750 switches with 3 VLANs voice data and wireless. I also have a controller connected to the switch fabric i have 3 APs working and joining the controller.

ISSUE:I have an AP that has to be connected to a small office that is 150M away . so i connected a fiber network to that office. Connecting a 3750 via SFP and a trunk to one cisco 300 switch then a fiber cable to another cisco 300 switch in the remobe office. I put 2 IP phones and they work. tried to put wireless and the wireless AP 1600 can not work.

I took the AP placed it in VLAN 3 on the 3750 in the Datacenter/server room the AP joins the WLC..

Now when i return the AP to connect to the cisco 300 switch in VLAN 3 in the remote office it can no Join the controller what am i missing?

Connect the AP(1600)-------->>>>>>Cisco 300 switch------------------>>>>cisco 3000 switch------->>>>>>3750-------WLC.

this configuration does not work. 

The AP fails to Join the controller i have added VLAN 3 on the cisco 300 switch  in the remote office what else should i do so that my AP can connect to the WLC through a Cisco 300 switch?

12 Replies 12

chezter.m.chan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi yami,

Can you check if your native VLAN is uniform across the network?

Confirm if it can join the WLC when connected to the cisco 300 next to the 3750.

Kind Regards

do you have DHCP server for VLAN 3 or have static Ip addresses??

IF DHCP please connect a LAPTOP on the port where you connect AP and see if it is getting IP.

IF static, please try and ping Controller from that port after connecting laptop.

Also check if you have that VLAN 3 created on the switch or if your VTP settings are correct.

( I am assuming you have an L2 trunk between the 2 switches and VTP client-server model. if not then the VLAN needs to explicitely created with the same name as in HQ switch 3750) 

If you have same VLAN at both sites and have different subnets... Flexconnect would be a nbetter option on this WLAN.

Please do let me know if this helps..

And do rate helpful posts.

Thanks for the input,

when i connected the Cisco 300 that is next to the 3750 i put port 7 in VLAN 3 and named it wireless VLAN i copied all VLANs on the 3750 to the cisco 300. I also have a trunk between 3750 and cisco 300 so that all VLANs can transit. ( Please note that the Phones on the remote site are working. And yes they all have the same native VLAN.

What i will try is put my Laptop in VLAN 3 network range and ping the controller. 

I do have ip-helper on 3750 thats how all the  other APs are connecting to the controller in the main building also this AP had joined the controller before off the 3750 so AP has no issue. It cant work at the remote office.

Let me do that an i will advise.

Hi

I think there is problem in between  trunk configuration between 3750, cisco 300 switch.Check your trunk configuration or upload sh running configuration , show vlan brief.

Thanks

Kafi

i dont think its an issue with the trunk if the IP phones are coming up (unless the allowed vlans have been explicitely provided and you missed VLAN 3)

i have seen these issues.

you can issue debug capwap packets to check the process that is happening in the background on the controller.

Regards,

Nick

Hi,

Niketan is right check debug capwap packet, and more over how APs know about Controller is it thru DHCP option 43..?

regards,

Good day

I did not have access to the equipment below is what i tried.

1. I put port 6 on the Cisco SF302 in VLAN 3 but i think am not coming right here.

2. I put the trunk between the Cisco SF302 and my 3750. I am connected to the Cisco SF302 that is connect to this 3750 switch.

3. I put my laptop on port 6 also put my laptop in the same ip address range with the controller tried to ping it no luck.

okay maybe i dont know how to put a port in vlan 3 on the Cisco SF302 i may need more help here....

hi,

try the below documentation.

if possible.. can you get the connectivity map for your network for this particular case only (not the complete network.. but how you are connected from controller to AP...

and we might be able to take it from there.

also, can you post a show ver  of switch and a show interface of the port on which you are connecting the AP 

https://www.storagenetworks.com/documents/cisco/cisco-series300-manual.pdf

yup...

try pinging the controller from your laptop by connecting it to the AP Port.

could you also check the show power inline on that port?

also, have you tried hardcoding the controller IP on the AP?? 

use the capwap ap controller ip add x.x.x.x command on it if the laptop is able to ping the controller.

try providing the sh power inline, sh vlan brief(from both switches) and sh run int fa x/x/x if possible.

Thanks.

Regards,

have you resolved the issue... please update the status as we would like to expand our knowledge too

thanks.

MD KAFINUZZAMAN
Level 1
Level 1

Hi yami,

* Configure both the cisco 300 switch in  wireless vlan 3 and specific port which is connected to AP make it also vlan 3 member.

* If not working connect a laptop and use same network ip and check.

* If there is a dhcp server then check ip helper address also.

Thanks And Regards

Kafi.

niketan sutar
Level 1
Level 1

is your config like :

AP(1600)--------access-port-vlan(WirelessAP)>>>>>>Cisco 300 switch-----------Trunk-->>>>cisco 3000 switch-----Trunk-->>>>>>3750----Trunk--->>WLC.

if not.. do it in this way..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X