WS-C2960-24PC-L means the hardware runs on LAN Base software. WS-C2960-24PC-S means it's running a cut-down version of the LAN Base software called LAN LITE (aka LAN Cr@p). You really, really don't want to invest in the latter.
Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base switches have several advantages:
• Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in 8-, 24-, and 48-port configurations
• RPS support and support for a wide range of SFP transceivers
• Enhanced security through Layer 2-4 access control lists (ACLs), DHCP Snooping, and more extensive Network Admission Control capabilities such as Web authentication and 802.1x enhancements
• Additional QoS capabilities: The LAN Base IOS supports policing, class and policy maps, differentiated services code point (DSCP), AutoQoS, and configurable queue weights, buffers, and thresholds
• Higher network-level availability with features such as Flex Links and Link State Tracking
•Increased number of VLANs (256) and other enhancements such as IPv6 Host, MLD Snooping, LLDP-MED, RSPAN, MVR, DHCP Option 82, and IP SLA (responder)
Article ID:4006 Configure Secure Shell (SSH) Server Authentication
Settings on a Switch Objective Secure Shell (SSH) is a protocol that
provides a secure remote connection to specific network devices. This
connection provides functionality that is similar...
Article ID:4982 Access an SMB Switch CLI using SSH or Telnet Objective
The Cisco Small Business Managed Switches can be remotely accessed and
configured through the Command Line Interface (CLI). Accessing the CLI
allows commands to be entered in a termina...
Article ID:5735 Convert Configuration Files using the Configuration
Migration Tool on Cisco Small Business Switches Introduction The Cisco
Configuration Migration Tool allows you to convert configuration files
from previous generation of Cisco Small Busin...