cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-C2960-24PC-L VS. WS-C2960-24PC-S : capabilities.

geoffrey.beers
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon

We are presently looking to standardize out infrastructure to use Cisco Catalyst switches, exclusively.  

We presently have 1 3560, and a WS-C2960-24PC-L.  These switches feed a stack of netgear switches (which we want to get rid of).

Our reason for doing so, is to bring Avaya POE IP Phones into the company to replace the digital hand sets (which are not POE).

We currently have 8 Avaya POE phones, which are all patched into the WS-C2960-24PC-L (for POE and Voice VLAN propagation).

I have found a good deal on a set of WS-C2960-24PC-S switches, but am concerned about the LAN Base model versus the LAN Lite Model.

The network setup is simple: two VLANs (data, voice), three /24 networks (routed by the 3560, directly connected).  

Is there any difference, between the two models, that would prevent me from achieving my desired outcome?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WS-C2960-24PC-L means the hardware runs on LAN Base software.  WS-C2960-24PC-S means it's running a cut-down version of the LAN Base software called LAN LITE (aka LAN Cr@p).  You really, really don't want to invest in the latter.  

Cisco Catalyst 2960 LAN Base switches have several advantages: 

• Gigabit Ethernet connectivity in 8-, 24-, and 48-port configurations 

• RPS support and support for a wide range of SFP transceivers 

• Enhanced security through Layer 2-4 access control lists (ACLs), DHCP Snooping, and more extensive Network Admission Control capabilities such as Web authentication and 802.1x enhancements

• Additional QoS capabilities: The LAN Base IOS supports policing, class and policy maps, differentiated services code point (DSCP), AutoQoS, and configurable queue weights, buffers, and thresholds 

• Higher network-level availability with features such as Flex Links and Link State Tracking 

•Increased number of VLANs (256) and other enhancements such as IPv6 Host, MLD Snooping, LLDP-MED, RSPAN, MVR, DHCP Option 82, and IP SLA (responder) 

vuli
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a very old topic but can anyone tell me what is the difference in this two models.

WS-C2960-24PC-L-RF

WS-C2960-24PC-L

what does that RF represent?

best regards

Hi vilu,

Those RF products fall under the Cisco Refresh program. RF devices are Cisco Certified remanufactured devices that meet the same quality standards as the new product equivalent. Warranty terms and licensing are also as with the new product. Here is more information available:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/remanufactured.html

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X