Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

2x wireless antenas one RX one TX only

Hello I am wondering can I connect 2 wireless access points/antenas to my switch and make them one transmit data only and one recive data?

Is this usualy managed by switch or the AP itself?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

That is an interesting question.

I do know that with the small business devices that is not a configurable setting.

But I am unsure if something like that can be configured within enterprise devices. Maybe when using a wireless lan controller with several AP's, but I honestly do not know.

Please try asking the question here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/wireless-mobility/others

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What model of the WAP are you talking about?

Any model im searching for one! what im trying to find a model to setup the folowing:

I have a server that connects to a switch my switch will go out with 3 access points one to accept clients (hotspot), the other two will go and transmit data one RX one TX to a distant spot that is setup the same!

Than it repeats the process again so making a big Wireless VPN than i will be able to sell internet on the go for people visiting my little town!

here is a sketch so you can understand easyer!

I need recomandations on hardware because i need to buy it.. dont want to waste money on wrong equipment! i was planing wireless N 150mbps network would be fine!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/wireless.png/

Hope this explains things better!

If you have any better idea to make it work please help me out!

i know it can be simply made with 1 antena but its not full duplex so its a problem with a lot of users!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Basically, you want ot create a MESH network of WAPs.  It will work but it won't be easy.

But I sure don't know why you want to save little money by getting two antennas (one per radio band) instead of getting the complete set.  I mean, how much is half a set of antennas and getting the right amount of performance.  The balance ain't right.

Plus you are making a business out of this. 

Well yes a mesh of waps just the antenas dont connect by wire but by other antenas to eliminate wires!

Still i do not understand what you mean by complete set? i thought this would be complete 1 transmiting to clients other 2 connect to a distant point (one rx other tx). Distant point transmits back the same way and shares access to clients with the remaining antena!..

Would you be willing making a sketch in paint or gimp like i did with hardware name to simplify it for me? Because im very confused and dont want to spend 1500€ on equipment that will not do its job!¨

why i want to use 2 antenas 1 rx and 1 tx is to eliminate half duplex!

so if some 1 in the VPN wants to transfer files not go on internet like 10gb so it goes faster as that would be full duplex if you know what i mean! like a circle...

Thanks..

P.S. if there is any way we could skype this thing out it would help me a lot.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

why i want to use 2 antenas 1 rx and 1 tx is to eliminate half duplex!

Errrr ... no it won't.  Whether you like it or not, wireless (and not the amount of antennas installed) is a half-duplex medium.  One antenna, half duplex.  Two antennas, half duplex.  Three antennas, half duplex.

Yes i understand what you mean... what i ment was like emulating it sort of like the optic cable! one transmits one recieves! So rx to tx one point to another and again the same thing with another 2 antenas... dont know if you understand what im going for its hard to explain like this! Would it be a problem to you to help me out over skype so i can explain to you in my words what i want to do and you give me the best solution you think its available?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hmmm ... maybe I misread your initial post.

Ok, if you want to specify that one antenna of your radio transmist and the other antenna of the same radio receives then YES.  It is possible.  All you need to do is disable diversity and specify which antenna transmits or receives.

Yes exactly my point! thats what i want to do! now the only problem is what hardware is capable of that? what do i use i cannot find any information regarding my issue!

Surley there must be some hardware that can support it i passed hundreds of outdoor ap's from different vendors none of them specify! :/ any idea on this?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

now the only problem is what hardware is capable of that? what do i use i cannot find any information regarding my issue!

The cheapest is the 1240.

Thanks! What about N soulution? 150 mbps was the speed i was going for rounding it up at 10MB/s real time performance would be nice... So are you suggesting i take 2 of this one tx one rx and same on the other side right? how can i get familiar with the process / software it uses so i know how to set up diversity?

also what switch do you recomend i use? since i want 150mbps it should be a gigabit switch.. 10/100 makes no sense since it cannot use it..

Thank you a lot!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content