cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3 x Access Point (WAP561AK9) Setup Advice

richardalan1975
Level 1
Level 1

I have deployed a single WAP561AK9 in our home. I am about to deploy two more identical AP's and could really use some guidance. I assume I can somehow cluster the devices to transmit the same SSID so I do not end up with six wifi networks?  In doing so what tells say the mobile device to drop and add the better WiFi signal. Would love some input, thanks in advance for your help.

Richard 

4 Replies 4

First I would recommend using 5ghz if possible and leave 2.4ghz for guests.

then same said and same wpa setup for each ssid.

Thats kind of a hard question not seeing your setup but that's a good start.

5ghz doesn't permeate walls as good as 2.4 and there's more non overlapping channels.

hope that helps

Almost forgot put each ap on different channels so for 2.4 1,6,11

and for 5 you can get away with auto and if you have the option you can use 40mhz channel widths if you don't have a lot of other networks around.

I appreciate the INFO I thought a followup post of what I have done thus far could be critiqued. I setup of the first AP using the wizard.

Radio1 802.11 b/g/n 20MHZ channel 2 

Radio2 5GHz 802.11 n 20/40 channel auto

I plugged in the 2nd AP and ran the setup this time entering the cluster name I created during the setup of the first. Looks like all of the settings transferred over.  

I am still testing for dead spots but I am very pleased with the results so far. I can see under single point setup the two AP's are clustered. 

Please add anything, thank you  Richard

One thing since your ap is using channel 2 you have just rendered channels 1-6 un useable basically you can only have 2x aps using 2.4 ghz.  In order to limit co channel interference you should stick to 1,6,11.

good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: