GhostOverload
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Equipment:

ASA 5505

2x gs 200-08

2x wap321

Is there a possibility, to bridge 2 VLAN between one and another side with two WAP 321 and use the AP's also as WDS Bridge to extend the Wireless Network?

I need to extend the Range of the WLAN but also want to use 2 different VLAN on both sides of the network. There is no Possibility to establish a wired Connection, so i try to use the AP's in "workgroup bridge" mode, but i always can use only one VLAN on the other side.

Thanks for any help

4 Replies 4

lariasqu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dominique, thank you for using our forum, my name is Luis I am part of the Small business Support community. I am assuming your topology is something like this:

WAP321----SG200-08----ASA----SG200-08---- WAP321

It is possible to connect to both WAP321 thru clustering to use the same SSID, password and channel.

I found the configuration steps in the admin guide in page 164, Adding a New Access Point to a Single Point Setup Cluster section.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Hi Luis

The Problem is, there is no wired connection between the WAP321.

The topology is like this:

VLAN1------ASA5505--  --SG200-08---------WAP321             WAP321--------SG200-8-------VLAN1

I                                                                                                 I

VLAN2---------------------------                                                                                               -----------VLAN2

VLAN1 and VLAN2 are also available in the WLAN on 2 Different SSID's:

SSID: inside -> VLAN1

SSID: outside -> VLAN2

If i understand the Cluster mode right,there is a wired connection required between the WAP321 .

In meantime i tried to connect the WAP321 over WDS, but always only VLAN1 is available on the "right" side of the Network.

Is there a Possibility, to Bridge multiple VLAN's over a WDS connection?

Best Regards

Dominique

Hi Dominique, now I see, there is an inconvenience with your topology and the procedure that you want to do, in your case Vlan1 side has the ASA for L3 capabilities, but in the other side there is no such thing, if you want to interconnect the WAPs using different Vlans you will need an L3 device for each side, for the interVlan routing, doing that Vlan1 and Vlan2 will be able to connect.

I hope you find this answer useful

Greetings,

Luis Arias.

Cisco Network Support Engineer.

Dominique, you need the appropriate license on the ASA to have the internal VLAN's. Everything else is fine assuming the 'remote AP' is able to associate either via WDS or workgroup bridge to the AP that connects to the wired LAN.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/