Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use my WRV200 as a personal VPN?

stevejordi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Linksys WRV200 WiFi router and read the documentation about it's VPN capabilities.

Now  I was wondering whether it could be possible to use it as my personal  VPN while traveling abroad, instead of subscribing to 3rd-party personal  VPN services?

The idea here is:

1- my WRV200 router is at home, linked to my cable ISP, running the VPN service.

2- I'm abroad with my iPhone or iPad or my laptop and want to use public WiFi services but through a VPN (encryption).

Can  I, say, from a public WiFi point in New York, connect with my  iPad/laptop VPN service to my home router (in Geneva, Switzerland) and  surf the web through it?

Having everything encrypted from my iPad  to my Home router, then everything redirected from Home to the  appropriate address I connect to?

My router doesn't have a fixed IP.

That  would be just like services like WifiGuardian, Personalvpn.com,  witopia.net, but without subscribing or paying for the  jservice?

Thanks for any clarification.

Steve

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Steve,

What you are trying to do is a normal operation of the router.  But since I don't have a iPad i have absolutely no idea if you can use IPSec  from your iPad to your home network via  the WRV200.

I asked my cousin to buy a similar router,  the RVS4000.  (If he purchased a router today, I would have asked him to buy a RV120W.)

He is in Australia and I live in Raleigh in the USA.  I VPN into his LAN using the free Quick VPN client and manage his Local Area network.  I must admit I used a Dynamic DNS service  for DNS resolution of my cousins WAN IP address.  It work very very well.

But anyway make sure your router has software version 1.0.39  via the following site.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9930/index.html

regards Dave

Dave,

thanks for the explanation.

My goal is not to access what is behind my router, meaning my home network, but just transit through it to then surf the web.

It is an indirect connection to the Internet

my laptop with VPN encryption --> Home Router --> internet

I currectly use a service to encrypt everything called WiFi Guardian. It comes with a tunnel application that runs on the laptop, but then, when I'm with my iPhone or iPad, I don't have the software. That's why I wanted to use the built-in device VPN capabilities to securely surf the web from any public hotspot (via my home router)

Also my home router has a dynamic IP address so I don't really know how I could access it from anywhere in the world. Probably with a dynamic DNS service I guess.

Any idea?