cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending range of SA520W

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

We've got an SA520W that's performing nicely, but we need to extend our wireless coverage to a new area of the building (we can get a network cable there).  What would be our best option?  Just a second SA520W, or are there are APs we should look at?

Thanks

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can configure both the SA and AP with the same SSID. If you do that I would do one other thing. Make sure both are on different channels. That way when searching you can see both. if they are on the same channel and same SSID some wireless client will only list them once and you would never know which you are connecting to.

Roaming:

The Ap541N has what is called Fast Client Roaming capability, not Seamless Roaming. The difference here is that seamless roaming uses a Wireless LAN Controller to help monitor signal strength between the AP and a connecting client. When the signal degrades to a certain point the WLC will automatically switch the wireless client over to the next strongest signal.

With Fast Client Roaming the AP is using a Fast Roaming Protocol. With this there is a slight disconnect and then reconnect from one AP to the next strongest one. Note: you may experience lost packets as the device jumps between AP's, but the connection should not be lost. Should being the main word. Depending on environment and congestion, if the re-association takes too long, the connection may be dropped.

Basically I have said this to let you know that to move from one signal to another there would have to be a disconnect from the signal that you are currently connected to so that you can acquire the next strongest signal. The best way to enhance or speed the connection to the next strongest signal to to be sure and have both signals setup in the preferred wireless networks on the client and have automatic connection enabled.

Hope this wasn't to much info.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Couple of questions about your network and needs. Are you planning on having the AP hardwired to the SA520W or was you wanting to try and do something like wirelessly repeat the signal? How many connections are you looking to use wirelessly at one time?

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Thanks for the reply Eric.

Yes, the second AP will be hard-wired to the existing SA520W. 

We need to support about 15-20 total wireless connections. 

Bill

Anyone have any feedback on this?  I'd like to purchase something ASAP

Hello Sir.

Sorry for the late reply. We have been swamped in the Support Center the last couple of days. Since you are going to hard wire the Access Point into the existing network you can pretty much use any of the existing AP in small business arena. My suggestion would be either the AP541N which is the Small Business Pro Class AP that we have or the new WAP321. Both have 1gb LAN port to the network and both are capable of 2.4 or 5 ghz. Keep in mind that is either or, not both at same time.

Eric Moyers

Cisco SBSC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

Cisco Small Business Wireless and Surveillance Expert

Office Hours: M-F 9am to 530pm Eastern

Ph:   1-866-606-1866

Fax: 1-866-875-3916

email: emoyers@cisco.com

web: http://www.cisco.com/smallbusiness

Great thanks Eric.  So I would just configure the AP541N with the same SSID as my existing SA520W, and users would connect to whichever device is providing a stronger signal?  Could they roam from one AP to another as they move throughout the office? 

You can configure both the SA and AP with the same SSID. If you do that I would do one other thing. Make sure both are on different channels. That way when searching you can see both. if they are on the same channel and same SSID some wireless client will only list them once and you would never know which you are connecting to.

Roaming:

The Ap541N has what is called Fast Client Roaming capability, not Seamless Roaming. The difference here is that seamless roaming uses a Wireless LAN Controller to help monitor signal strength between the AP and a connecting client. When the signal degrades to a certain point the WLC will automatically switch the wireless client over to the next strongest signal.

With Fast Client Roaming the AP is using a Fast Roaming Protocol. With this there is a slight disconnect and then reconnect from one AP to the next strongest one. Note: you may experience lost packets as the device jumps between AP's, but the connection should not be lost. Should being the main word. Depending on environment and congestion, if the re-association takes too long, the connection may be dropped.

Basically I have said this to let you know that to move from one signal to another there would have to be a disconnect from the signal that you are currently connected to so that you can acquire the next strongest signal. The best way to enhance or speed the connection to the next strongest signal to to be sure and have both signals setup in the preferred wireless networks on the client and have automatic connection enabled.

Hope this wasn't to much info.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric

Thanks Eric, that sounds perfect.