cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with WAP4410N going offline

milkboy31
Level 1
Level 1

Well... I wish I could say the V2's have solved the issue fully.  But they haven't.

I've had multiple times where different V2's have gone offline until I unplug and re-plug in the network cord again.  The frequency seems to be less than before, but it is definitely NOT resolved.

Of the 5 wifi points installed currently, I've had to reset 3 of them in the past two weeks at various times.

I am installing 2 more V2's at another site later this week.

I am likely going to force 100M again to see if that stabilizes things.

How hard is it to make a reliable product?  Really???

26 Replies 26

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Thank you for your post with the concern of support for Smartphones. We can support some smartphones here at the SBSC. Dealing with third party phones, is a little out of our scope, because we can not completely support the complexity of other products. However, we can ensure that our product is operating as it should.

Please call in to our center at 1-866-606-1866 and create a ticket with any answering agent. You can then have that agent refer to me and I can help with the process of addressing your issue.

Eric Moyers
Cisco SBSC Network Engineer
1-866-606-1866

I've got a good solution for you, bring out a firmware update that will allow you to disable the Key Renewal feature under Wireless - Security, its this feature that is causing the smart phones to loose connection, I've proven this by setting this timeout to lowest number which is 3600 I think and timing it, then reseting it and timing it again.

Long story short allow us to disable Key Renewal!

thanks

It is key renewal that drops the connection. But, is not key renewal

part of the WAP2 from all vendors? If so, then why does it not work

with this Cisco AP. Other AP from Cisco primary line do work BTW. It

is just this former Linksys model that does not - at least that is my

understanding.

Are there other versions of the firmware that are only available via the Cisco Small Business Support Center and not the general download site?

Are there other versions of the documentation that explain how to configure the device better than the help pages in the admin screens or the PDF manual?

Assuming one or both of those exist, is there a reason that can be shared why a call to support is required to get them instead of them being publicly available?  Or just if they exist and that a call to support can get them?

If neither of them exist, what's the goal of calling support other than to waste the time of the support people, the person calling, and for the person calling to provide free QA testing to Cisco?

All of the issues on this thread (and several others) are of people who have working functional set ups, that run for between an hour, a day, or a few days and then completely stop working with no information in any of the device logs to point to a clue.  Since they run perfectly fine for some amount of time, it would seem they they are all configured correctly and this isn't a question of an advanced setup with edge case special configuration that isn't working.

I would love to hear that there is better firmware available from support.  I just don't think it's likely and it's not worth wasting everyone's time to call.

Eric,

This is a well known and long time problem. Smart phones work will all

other access points as far as I know including the other models from

Cisco. I have updated the firmware with every change and that does not

fix this. I presume that it is a hardware problem that keeps it from

being 100% compatible with the IEEE standard 802.11. Apparently that can

not be fixed or Cisco just does not care.

If you have other information please let us know.

Joel,

I had this problem and it is totally fixed with Firmware 2.0.4.2.  HOWEVER, that firmware only works on Hardware V2.  Cisco, replaced my unit which had original Hardware (Linksys) with the V2 model. 

Another little trick I learned was that I had to set the set the Wireless Channel to "Auto."  Otherwise it would just stop transmitting sometimes.  With Auto it finds the channel that has the least interference.  I also run it on N Only now but used to have it BGN Mixed and it worked there too. 

I have this in a place where about 65 other WiFis are picked up so interference is intense.

joelsplace
Level 1
Level 1

New firmware is out since the last post.  Does it fix the problems?  Mine locks up with v2.0.3.3.  I'm loading 2.0.4.2 now but the release notes don't mention any fix for lockups.

Joel,

Unfortunately, we ended up sending ours back as we received no help from Cisco on the issue. We are using another Vendor's product and do not have any issues with our smartphones.

I had to do the same.  I would like to get this one working since we spent almost $200 on it.

Joel,

From what I am being told you are correct. They are still trying to resolve the lockups, or knock off symptoms some clients are getting. They believe they have found the problem but need more sampling to make sure they have pin pointed the root cause of the problem. Anyone with client drops that can do a man-in the middle capture of the wireless communication would help speed up the resolution time.

To do this you can use NetMon in Windows 7 machines.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16398

Please if you have a current case open with this issue please contact your support engineer and supply this information into the case. If you don't have a case please call 1-866-606-1866 and open a case.

Other information that will be requested for this problem is:

Network topology

Physical topology

Wireless scan of wireless interference

config file

and potentially pictures of the location of the device and surrounding equipment.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

I'll try to get some more info when I have time.  We had to buy a different access point since we couldn't afford to be down several times a week.

cindy toy
Level 7
Level 7

Hello everyone,

Thank you for participating in this thread.

This thread was becoming difficult to differentiate each question from each user.  Therefore I have branched out all the threads into individual discussions so that we can address each persons individual issues and have locked this thread.

Several teams, including Support and Product Engineering, are working to resolve issues associated with the WAP4410N. In order to provide the best possible information, we need details of your issue.

Please contact the Small Business Support Center at 1 866 606 1866. You'll find a list of international support numbers here: www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. The information you provide to our Support Engineers could help resolve similar issues so thank you in advance.

If you have already contacted the Small Business Support Center, please provide us with your case number in your question.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!