cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC address details

Bob Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

is possible to learn the production site and manufacture date from a Cisco phone MAC address.  (7975)

4 Replies 4

Jonathan Unger
Level 7
Level 7

There is no information encoded into the MAC address which will give you the date, or production site.

You might be able to get the date from the serial number (some other Cisco products can be decoded), but I am not sure about that for phones.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking to use this information for?

If you are looking to check support/warranty coverage you can put the serial number into the following tool (if you have the right level of cisco.com access):
https://cway.cisco.com/sncheck/ 

during our power testing we are geting hit really hard with issues from FN 63772. i want to see how many additional phones from this FN we have in our environment.

FN 63772 - IP Phones - May Fail To Boot-Up After A Power Cycle - Fix-on-Failure

Makes sense, the only thing I can think of would be asking Cisco if they can tell if a product is affected based on serial number and then submitting all of your serial numbers to them for analysis.

That is what i did... But they are not able to help with identifying any affected devices.

so far in my case the MACs are something like this every phone that has failed has been within this.

DC7B94F8xxxx

DC7B94F9xxxx

I know DC7B94 is registered to Cisco. so the only other factor is the digit after.