Views
Helpful
Replies

New Wireless Project

RTHRESHIER_2
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am curious to hear what folks may think may be the best, cost effective approach to deploying wireless in a MDU environment.

It would consist of 32 access points to support a,b,g and need PoE.  I was thinking AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 with a small controller but do not know the specifics when it comes to wireless.  Antenna types, if it comes with intergreated antenna, best practices and suitable controller types.

Could i also mix controllers on the same network?  Meaning, have a 2125 controller and a 2112 controller in the same environment?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Best Regards,

Rob

1 Reply 1

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

Hey Rob,

I wouldn't use the 1231s. I would use the AIR-LAP1131AG-x-K9 where the x is your regulatory code. A for the US. I would use two 4402-25s so that one could provide some redundancy for the other in the event of failure. Why not a 2125 you might ask. 2125 is only for 20 user or less due to bandwidth constraints on the 100base t ports. The 1231s are EOL. Make sure you order LAP1131s and not AP1131s. The difference is the LAP is for controller based solutions and the AP is autonomous. Yes you can convert them but there are some issues surrounding certificates that makes the deployment go easier if you by the lightweight version.