Views
Helpful
Replies

# of MAC address filter on WAP4410N?

haxiong
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello guys,

I have gone  through the data sheet of WAP4410N,bu have got nothing about the  scalability of MAC address filter on WAP4410N?

BR,

Hao

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Currently the MAC address filtering is limited to 20. I can check on this for you to see if there is any way to increase, however if I remember correctly there is not. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Currently the MAC address filtering is limited to 20. I can check on this for you to see if there is any way to increase, however if I remember correctly there is not. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hello sir, 

So what is the conclusion? Is there any possibility to increase MAC address filtering limit for this model?

Thanks.

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

I hope this is only GUI software limitation on WAP and not system backend limitation. If you need to use more than 20 entries, you can add them via CLI - there is no limitation (but it could be - you can test it).

• get list of related ACL configuration with: nvram show | grep acl_list

• you can see "wlanX_ssidX_acl_list" variables in output. the only interesting to you are the ones already filled with some data (I assume "wlan0_ssid0_acl_list").
  • for adding new MAC into list you have to:

- copy existing MAC list into test variable:

testMACLIST=`nvram show | grep wlan0_ssid0_acl_list | cut -d"=" -f2`

- and update wlan0_ssid0_acl_list with existing list and new MAC following way:

nvram set wlan0_ssid0_acl_list=${testMACLIST}AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:11,unknown,1\;

...where AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:11,unknown,1\; is new entry with required formatting. Only MAC address varies, the rest - ,unknown,1\; -  needs to be kept like it is.

- you can confirm if the list is updated with command:

nvram show | grep wlan0_ssid0_acl_list

And finally: to make this change permanent (f.e.after unit reboot) you have to save configuration with:

nvram commit

I am not sure if unit reboot is necessary after this configuration change, maybe it is and you can do it from CLI with command:

reboot

Yes, it is not user friendly, but I hope it will work as this is alternative (but not officially supported) configuration mode. Secondly - all further updates to MAC list needs to be done only via CLI (as GUI will always count only with 20 entries).

enjoy!

The second option how to overcome GUI limitation of 20 entries is to create another SSID with different name (but with same other NW-related settings) and with another 20 entries that you can use. Yes, you have to tell new users to connect to another (second) SSID instead of first one - but this is the only drawback.

On WAP4410N units you can have have four SSIDs in total - this increases number managed MAC addresses to 80.

Thanks Michal, 

Just tested your CLI workaround example and works just great on my WAP device. You need a device reboot after adding the new MAC addresses though, but that's fine. Thank you very much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: