Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Q: WAP321

Hello Forum,

i am really sorry for the question that will follow!!!

I have a customer of me, who insists that the WAP321 has a integrated DHCP Server.

Could you please tell me the truth ;-) i need something black on white to show him.

Again sorry for that question and thank you

Yves

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: Q: WAP321

yves,

The WAP321 is an access point. None of the Small Business access points have a DHCP server. For the wireless clients to reach the internet, a router is used as the gateway. The router normally provides a DHCP server for the network, assigning IP addresses to wired and wireless clients. The access point can function as a DHCP client only, meaning that it can obtain an IP address from the DHCP server (router).

- Marty

4 REPLIES
Gold

yves,

The WAP321 is an access point. None of the Small Business access points have a DHCP server. For the wireless clients to reach the internet, a router is used as the gateway. The router normally provides a DHCP server for the network, assigning IP addresses to wired and wireless clients. The access point can function as a DHCP client only, meaning that it can obtain an IP address from the DHCP server (router).

- Marty

mpyhala,

thank you! i know this, but now i have something (official from Cisco) to show to my client.

Thank you again.

Yves

Hello again,

could you please add the following answer:

- To get the WAP321 working on a network you need a Router with DHCP in your network (like a Cisco RV180).

Sorry for wasting your time.

Yves

Gold

yves,

I edited my post to be more clear about the roles of the router and AP in regards to DHCP.

- Marty

Views
Helpful
Replies