cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Roaming between RV220W wireless router and WAP121 Access Point

warhawk18
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have recently purchased a RV220W wireless router and a WAP121 access point and i would like to allow my users to "roam" between the two networks as needed (so when the user is closer to whichever one they connect to that one since it has a better signal). For the most part I only have experience in cisco IOS and in actual routers not the wireless stuff so my knowledge has not exactly transfered over well.

2 Replies 2

warhawk18
Level 1
Level 1

I just read this thread: https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4117981#4117981
but the part about the type of repeating mode is what is confusing me

William,

WDS will not work between the RV220W and WAP121 due to incompatible chipsets. The RV220W can be repeated using WDS by another RV220W or RV180W only. You will need to plug the WAP121 into the RV220W or try WorkGroup Bridge mode to repeat the signal.

Regarding roaming, the router or AP are not aware of each other and do not have the capability to disconnect a client and help them connect to the AP with the stronger signal. The client will switch to the stronger AP only when the original signal is lost.

The Aironet (enterprise) devices have the ability to utilize a wireless LAN controller which can help keep devices connected to the stronger signal and allow truly seamless roaming between APs.

- Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: