cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV120W: The user attempted to connect using a dial-in medium that did not match the restricted dial-in media

chicagotech
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure a Cisco RV120W wireless using RADIUS. The IAS server is Windows 2003. The wireless client can’t access the wireless.  The ISA server keeps getting this error: Event Type: Warning Event Source: IAS Event Category: None Event ID: 2 User: N/A Computer: DEVICES1 Description: User ntdomain\blin was denied access. Fully-Qualified-User-Name = chicagotech.org/Users/Bob Lin NAS-IP-Address = 10.0.30.102 NAS-Identifier = Called-Station-Identifier = Calling-Station-Identifier = Client-Friendly-Name = RV102-Domain Client-IP-Address = 10.0.30.102 NAS-Port-Type = NAS-Port = Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users Authentication-Provider = Windows Authentication-Server = Policy-Name = CBG-All Authentication-Type = EAP EAP-Type = Reason-Code = 70 Reason = The user attempted to connect using a dial-in medium that did not match the restricted dial-in media. Check the dial-in constraints for the matching remote access policy. The public wireless and WPA2 work fine. Other Cisco 1240 wireless works fine with this event: Event Type: Information Event Source: IAS Event Category: None Event ID: 1 Date: 10/18/2013 Time: 1:33:19 PM User: N/A Computer: DEVICES1 Description: User blin was granted access. Fully-Qualified-User-Name = chicagotech.org/Users/Bob Lin NAS-IP-Address = 10.0.20.103 NAS-Identifier = WLC2504 Client-Friendly-Name = WLC2504 Client-IP-Address = 10.0.20.103 Calling-Station-Identifier = 90-18-7c-e6-95-aa NAS-Port-Type = Wireless - IEEE 802.11 NAS-Port = 1 Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users Authentication-Provider = Windows Authentication-Server = Policy-Name = CBG-All Authentication-Type = PEAP EAP-Type = Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) Can you help?                  

2 Replies 2

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Customer,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

The RADIUS configuration settings are intended to authenticate the wireless clients attempting to connect through a SSID and if this is the problem you have, I first suggest you to check on the RADIUS server IP address (Security>RADIUS Server), make sure it is reachable, and the authentication port number used by this server to send traffic and the shared key used to authenticate to the server which must match on both sides.  If all that is good, try using WAP Enterprise as the wireless security method and not WAP2 Enterprise.

If the problem persits I then first suggest to to make sure you run the latest firmware release version 1.0.5.6;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282981372&flowid=796&softwareid=282487380&release=1.0.5.6&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Then contact support if the problem persists; (the "dial-in medium" part error I just don't understand what it has to do with the RADIUS wireless client authentication);

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

Please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may assist you with in the meantime.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

1. make sure it is reachable: es, it is reachable because the IAS server log the Event ID 2.

2. I have tried WAP Enterprise and WAP2 Enterprise.

3. I have updated firmware to 1.9.5.6.

I do beleive the problem is Authentication-Type = EAP ibstead od PEAP. If you compare the Event, the one doesn't works use Authentication-Type = EAP and the one works use Authentication-Type = PEAP. I also open the case with Microsoft. The Microsoft engineer confirms the problem is EAP.

Where can I setup PEAP instead of EAP in Cisco RV 102W?