Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

RV180W - Multiple wireless access points

Hey there, looking for some advice.

I currently have two (2) Cisco RV180W devices and im looking at expanding my wireless saturation within my house and looking for the best way. a bit of back story... I originally had a signal (1) RV180W and it was located in my basement (basically a pop room setup) and on the top floor of my home the signal was very week. I found an blurb mentioned due to the the RV180W chipset the best wireless extender/expander was actually another RV180W and just used in a access point mode. So now that I have two of these devices whats them best way to set them up? I've seen two different implementations in this scenario and im not to sure which is best.

1. setup a WDS network. add each as authorized access points.

2. setup each with the same SSID but set on different channels.

Whats the best setup to get best wireless saturation within the home as well maintain client connections when hoping between AP's? also looking for ease of management.

2 REPLIES

Hi dvelpel4425 For a good

Hi

Make sure when metal or anything that will reflect your signal is not in the path of those antennas. AMPED wireless is a tool that can be downloaded and used on the labtop which will allow to check signal strenghs for all of your ssid's. WDS is the best setup for your scenerio. Make sure when setting WDS that you using same channel on both AP.

The link below is how to get this setup.

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?pid=2&login=1

Thanks for the reply iarroyoA

Thanks for the reply iarroyo

A couple comments.

• The link you provided doesn't link to anything specific; I did do a search from that link that showed be some WDS configurations. in short this is what I did.
    • 1st RV180W is setup in router mode, 2nd RV180W is setup in access point mode (not to sure if the 2nd should be WDS repeater)
    • Changed both RV180W to have matching wireless info (Channel, SSID, etc.)
    • Enabled WDS on both and entered the same key as I used previously (I did test if this key was just a tunnel key from rv180w-to-rv180w but it seemed not the case)
    • Added there MAC address to each other
    • Confirmed/enabled RSTP on both RV180W and my SG200

That sound right?

• With WDS I noticed that the only encryption available is WPA which is fairly loose compared to WPA2 aes+tkip, I did confirm with the tool you mentioned (AMPED) that it shows advertised as WPA and not my native WPA2, with this security reduction is WDS is the best? If it is still the best is adding MAC filtering the best way to complement the lack of WPA security.
  • Is WDS purely for bonding wireless networks? I noticed once everything was enable I had to do some STP fixing as I had multiple route's from device physical connected to the 2nd RV180W. I'm making the assumption that the metric on the wireless route is higher so anything physical connected would route via the 1GiB and not the wireless link to the 1st RV180W, can you confirm this in theory?

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content