cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up 'guest' wireless access on a wireless router attached to our LAN

martyfranek
Level 1
Level 1

My organization purchased a Cisco Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router and asked me to configure it so that guests could access the internet (through our LAN) but not any of our LAN resources. According to the packaging, there is a "built-in wireless access point" with "secure guest access" but I cannot find the instructions on how to configure it anywhere in the 133-page administrator's guide that came with the unit.  I thought I was familiar with WAP's even though I have never set one up from scratch before, and now I have a special one to set up.  Any suggestions on how I get started? -Marty

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Martin,

We will need more details on the network, what AP did you purchase and have you contacted the SBSC 1-866-606-1866 to ask for their help

Willing tohelp, just need some details about the topology

View solution in original post

Marty,

Yes, we need more detail information;which model of Access Point and detailed topology of your network including all devices. More details of vlan,subnets,etc.

Or just call the SBSC @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case.

Thanks

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Martin,

We will need more details on the network, what AP did you purchase and have you contacted the SBSC 1-866-606-1866 to ask for their help

Willing tohelp, just need some details about the topology

Marty,

Yes, we need more detail information;which model of Access Point and detailed topology of your network including all devices. More details of vlan,subnets,etc.

Or just call the SBSC @ 1-866-606-1866 and open a support case.

Thanks

Jasbryan

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

Jasbryan,

Thanks for response.  I called SBSC and was told exactly what I needed to configure.  (See my response to Arthur).

Marty

Arthur,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry.  I opened a case, and Small Business tech support told me what to do.  What I needed to do was to establish a new SSID and a new VLAN, and disable security, enable VLAN isolation and allow it to broadcast.  To my surprise, it allowed anyone with connect but only traverse our network to get to the internet w/o seeing any of our LAN resources.  Which was exactly our goal. 

Marty

Does this mean I have to create two VLANS in the cisco switch at the customer?