Views
Helpful
Replies

setup RV220W as Access Point

allblackhaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

May i know that can a CISCO RV220W setup as a Access Point in company network?

We already have a router for IP management.

is it possible to setup as Acces point?

Also can we separate the guest and internal user for using wireless by difference SSID and VLAN.

It seem it cannot setup if i need to setup limited network access right by SSID and VLAN.

Thank you

Rgds,
Sun

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sun,

If you wish to seperate the guest network from the company network, do not enable inter-VLAN routing. If it is enabled the guests will be able to see the VLAN1 devices.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sun,

Thank you for posting. Usually any wireless router can be used as an AP simply by giving it a static LAN IP address, turning off the DHCP server, and plugging the Default Gateway (Other router) into a LAN port. You can set up a VLAN and assign it to an SSID on the RV220W, and then assign the port that is connected to the other router to that VLAN. You will need to create the same VLAN on the other router and disable Inter-VLAN routing for a guest network.

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thank you for your reply.

For setup as AP, i understand your suggestion.

Also i understand i can setup a VLAN assign to an SSID.

Under this SSID, internal user can access our network.

I can setup Lan Port (1) and Lan Port (2) in VLAN1, assign one SSID.

i plug my default gateway(existing router) into Lan Port (1), so my internal user can access network resource by this SSID

For guest SSID, we don't have other router.

If i setup Lan Port (3) and Lan Port (4) in VLAN2, assign one new SSID.

Where i can enable "inter-VLAN" with protection of local network?

Can i setup the protection of local network with Guest SSID by RV220W?

Do i need additional equipment?

Rgds,
Sun

Sun,

If you wish to seperate the guest network from the company network, do not enable inter-VLAN routing. If it is enabled the guests will be able to see the VLAN1 devices.