On two separate sites we have installed WAP321s and on both sites we are seeing an unusual problem. After several hours, the switches the WAP321s are connected to stop responding, forcing a power-cycle of the switch. They then work perfectly then for several more hours. We have confirmed that both the switches (Netgear) and the WAP321s have the latest firmware. On the first site we suspected a dodgy switch, as swapping the Netgear managed unit out for an old 3COM unmanaged switch resolved the problem, but now we have experience the same issue on a separate site with an unmanaged Netgear switch. Both sites have only manifested the problem since the Cisco's were installed, and disconnecting them from the switch cures the problem.
EDIT, I'm starting to see this happen more with Apple devices connecting to the AP, I'm trying to narrow this down further.
This is exactly what I've narrowed the problem down to. It looks like excessive multi-casting has been locking the switches - we put in a switch with storm control to test, and the problem disappears. I've resolved the issue by rate-limiting the multi-casting traffic to one-fifth of the default values.
Article ID:5727 Configure the Single Point Setup on the WAP581 Objective
A Wireless Access Point (WAP) connects to a router and serves as a node
to the Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN). Clustering is when multiple
WAPs are joined on the same network. Th...
Article ID:5706 Upgrade the Firmware on the WAP125 Objective New
firmware releases are improvements from previous firmware versions.
Network device performance can be enhanced when an upgrade is made.
Firmware files can be downloaded through: Trivial File...
Article ID:1972 Configure Time Settings on a Wireless Access Point
Objective The system clock provides a network-synchronized time-stamping
service for software events such as message logs. Without synchronized
time, accurate correlation of log files betw...