Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to associate with WAP321 after setup wizard

jason_bay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just installed a WAP321. I literally configured a test SSID, implemented WPA Personal security, and could not get an iPad or Blackberry to associate with the network. The error message that appears in the Blackberry is "EAP Authentication Failed". But isn't EAP applicable only to the WPA Enterprise mode? The access point works fine if I have the test SSID without any security, but as soon as I turn on WPA Personal security, nothing can connect. Is there something really obvious I'm missing here?

(When I select WPA Personal security, I have tried with just the "WPA2" version and "AES" cipher selected, as well as with check boxes ticked on both WPA/WPA2, and on both TKIP/AES. Neither works.)

8 Replies 8

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It looks like your devices are configured for WPA enterprise, not WPA personal.
Check the wireless profile on your devices and make sure it reflects WPA personal.

You want to say "Thank you"? Don't. Just rate the useful answers, that is more useful than "Thank you".

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to have worked. I've verified that WPA personal is the selected mode on both access point and device.

I don't know if the EAP Authentication Failed is just a label for some generic connection error on my BB, but even if I explicitly configure WPA Personal or WPA2 Personal on my iPhone, Blackberry, laptop, Smart TV, you name it - nothing connects.

I've reset the access point to factory defaults and used the default SSID and settings. Nothing works still.

Does anyone else have a WAP321 that they managed to get working with a WPA/WPA2 Personal security setting?

Hi Jason,

The products have certainly been tested using WPA/WPA2 (at work, we use them every day under different scenarios and we have over 20 SSID broadcasting so you know what kind of mess we have!!!!)

So, let us start at the very basics. Factory reset the unit. Don't change anything at all. Are you able to connect to the default SSID without any security?

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

SSID: ciscosb

Security: None

After acknowledging the access point's warning that an open network is not recommended, I try on various devices and all can connect.

Jason, to verify, you have received a valid IP address and everything is normal? You have any expected network connectivity?

Okay, so we have the first VAP working fine. Can you make a second SSID ciscosb2 and configure the WPA personal and use the password;  Cisco123! and then test this?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

I tried that. It doesn't work.

The only settings I've made is as per the screenshot.

Removing the TKIP or the wpa2 options do not help? If you save the running config to start up config and reboot the device is there any differences?

-Tom

This is weird. But removing WPA2 did the trick. Why would that be?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: