Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Using a Cisco RV180W with wired LAN

Hello everyone!

I have a small client with a pair of RV180W's. They wish to create one large wireless area where users can walk around from the area around one 'router' to the other without needing to reset their wireless connection on their mobile device. Logically the client wishes to setup a WDS repeater. Except, the building the client is in, is very old and made from materials that will block the 2.4GHz microwave signal once a user exits one room and enters another room. (Obviously the APs are in totally opposite ends of the building, and can hardly detect the presence of their sister access points.)

There is lots of cat-5 between the rooms and the client thought what they might do is run their data over the wire between the two APs using the 'LAN' ports on each AP for the backbone communication. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to make such a scenario work, I've looked high and low and cannot find anything on this (besides the implication in some documentation that what my client wants is impossible).

I did set the two APs up, as stand alone access points (one AP, call it the primary, connects to the Internet via the 'WAN' interface, there is a backbone link on a 'LAN' interface to the secondary AP which connects to the same wire on one of it's 'LAN' interfaces.) Of course as I noted before if a user walks from the room with the primary to the room with the secondary the user needs to establish a new connection although, by design, the SSIDs and passphrase are the same. This design is unacceptable to the client and they... well they are hopping angry that they cannot get what they think ought to be really easy.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Is what the client is asking for possible with the hardware they have?

2. Can I do it with additional equipment? I'm looking at the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless controller or possibly a Virtual Wireless Controller? (Given that the client is blaming me for the fact that it doesn't work -hey I was handed the device and told to make it work, I had no say in what hardware was bought-, whatever additional stuff I tell them they need to buy needs to a. work, and b. be cheap.)

3. Any other thoughts, or comments?

Thanks!

• Small Business Wireless
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.