Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan and DHCP

nicola.galasso
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

First time I request something, but it seems a good place to start from.

I have a WRVS4400n and a SG300-28.

I have successfully created 3 Vlans on the router and on the switch but I am missing a link as the DHCP created on the router will not work on the switch.

I have a trunk port setup from the router to the switch and I have a second switch connected to one of the VLans in access mode and in this case DHCP is working fine.

I am sure I am missing something. IF you have a similar setup please let me know how you got it working.

Thak you in advance for your time.

Nicola

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Let's start with a topology of what you are trying to accomplish. What is the IP scheme of the router? What is the current IP of the switch? What vlans are setup on the switches and on what ports? Is the port on the switch connected to the router a trunk port as well?

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like you're doing it right, but does it look like this?

(router with L3 svi's & dhcp)----trunk----(switch with L2 vlans)------access-------(switch)

If so, check a few things:

Make sure the trunk is not pruning any of the vlans (check both switches)

Make sure the switches are in the same VTP domain (case sensitive)

Try configuring the "first" switch with each of the vlans on three different ports.  Plug in a PC and try to pull dhcp.

If it works, you're fine.  If it doesn't you may want to re-check your dhcp scope configurations.

If one works, use it as a template for the other two.

Ven

Ven Taylor

Hello Ven,

My configuration is similar to the one you did but I am not sure the WRVS4400n has a L3 switch, actually I am quite sure it does not.

The configuration I had was based on a client's but now I have a similar setup with the same Router at home and a manageable switch.

I am going to try it out on this one first and let you know.

Thank you fr your replies I actually stopped looking here after a few days.

Ciao and Thanks