Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 200 with external antenna

maxime.aupaix
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I connected an external 12dBi omni-directional antenna for Networks 2.4 Ghz (TL-ANT2412D) with LMR-400 cable 5M

but my antenna "emits" nothing, I have no signal. With the two supplied antennas with WAP200 I signal but does not cover any desired area.

Could you tell me what parameter to change?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

The WAP200 is 1X2 MIMO which means that it Transmits on one antenna and Receives on two.

1) We do not support 3rd party antennas.

2) I would try attaching the 3rd party antenna to the other post.

I know customer that have had success adding 3rd party antennas, but there are no promises.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

The WAP200 is 1X2 MIMO which means that it Transmits on one antenna and Receives on two.

1) We do not support 3rd party antennas.

2) I would try attaching the 3rd party antenna to the other post.

I know customer that have had success adding 3rd party antennas, but there are no promises.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hello,

I did not know that the WAP200 is 1X2 MIMO which means that it Transmits on one antenna and Receives on two.

I changed my antenna outside side and it works very well.

Thank you very much.

It's not true I think.

sorry for english.

I've tested wap200 as accespoint, bridge and repeter, and allways working only one antena.

two buldings connected via bridge over wap200 and external antenas (one per device)- when I change sma port for external antena i can't ping second location, when I change back everything is workin fine (i can ping, enter shares, etc).

as repeter - when I change sma port, wap200 is no longer rechable in my network.

as accespoint - on first sma signal is ok, on second is bad (probably it transmit via cables covered in device :-) )

Tell me if I'm wrong

Hello Michal

If I am reading your post correctly. When you have the 3rd party antenna on one side, everything works. When you use it on the other side it does not. What this tells me is that the side that is working is the one post connection that is transmitting and receiving the wireless signal. The other post is just doing the transmitting but unable to receive.

Eric

On both sides I have 3rd party antennas (external, outdor antennas).

When that antena is connected to first sma port, everything is working correctly (ping, shares, rdp,...).

When I connect antenna to second sma port ther is no connetcion between sides.

Hi ill did face the same thing ,just test the wires inside and look if they are good .it might be the n-connector that is broken ,my wap200 transmitting antenna did not work. This was a production failure, if you have this just send it back to Cisco.

Br hendrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: