Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP200 - poor signal strength

haakonflaaten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have purchased two WAP200 units to act as access point and repeater.

AP and repeater functionality works fine.

The issue I am having is extremely poor signal from both units. Even when very close to the WAP200, I get poor signal quality. The range before loosing connection is only a few feet.

I'm using the antennas that came with the box and have tried multiple placements both in my house and in other locations. I have also tried changing several of the configurations without any effect on the signal strength. Older D-link and Linksys routers provide good reception to most of my house from the same location.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

Haakon, have you done a wireless scan of your local area with a wireless analyzer?  If not, try that and see what channels are being utilized and set the wap200's to a channel that is not being used or a channel that has the least interference.  A program i use is Inssider for doing wireless analysis. 

Hope this helps you out.

Hi

For me the same, using other channels did not help.

Removing the antennas did not give a lower signal .it seams the antennas are not working at all. As i got 2 used wap200 and no contract ill get no help from Cisco, means ill fix it myself. The attachment to the board from the antenna  wire looks bad. I will respond later. :) how about this as ill have no support ill took my ABB tool to see if the bad looking wires inside the box are Ok!. Believe it or not the cable was broken this box should go for rma at first day. By not testing it or bad IT management at the USA Foodbank it got used  for a long time not working correct. Cisco know this , ill found an text online pointing me in the right direction.

Now i only got to find some cables and replace the bad ones then the WAP200 should work perfect as its advertisement says.

No help Cisco means Fix it yourself :)

Br. Hendrik

Found a good link, this will explain more to the issue;  https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11436001/wap-200-external-antenna

This explain also why its signal did not gives a lower signal after removing both antennas. 

Br. Hendrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: