Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP200, signal disappearing

McRemic64
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

first of all, I must precise that I am French and that my english is not perfect. I hope you will undesrtand what i say

I bought a Cisco WAP200 two years ago and I am encountering a problem since then.

Every hour or so, the Wi-Fi signal seems to disappear. I mean that every device connected lose connection simultaneously.

I have checked some parameters but didn't find the source of the problem.

The AP was on firmware 2.0.2.4. I decided to upgrade it to 2.0.4.0, and it got worse ! Now i'm losing the signal every 20 minutes.

For some reason, I can't upgrade it to 2.0.6. I have a blank page, nothing happens.

I precise that it is just the signal vanishing, i can still access to the AP management page with a computer on ethernet. So the WAP200 does not reboot on is own.

Here is what i tried to do :

- change the wireless network mode

- key renewal timeout set to 86400

- power output decreased to 25%

I also tried to reset the WAP200 to factory settings and load a setup from file or re-do it from scratch without success.

I have been searching for days but couldn't find anything that could solve my problem.

I'm looking forward your experience to help me

4 Replies 4

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center.

Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

I am sorry that your having the issue with this unit. When did your WAP200 start having this issue? Recently or Did it start as soon as you bought it? Are you having any issues with the antennas with the unit?

Since this happens fairly regularly, Could it possibly be something in the surrounding environment? Where is the unit located? In a business or home environment? Any information would be helpful.

How does the signal come back? Starts working on its own or do you have to reboot it?

I am sorry I have more questions than answers, but this can help determine how to resolve your issue.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:30 - 18:30 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Hi Eric,

thank you for your answer.

I'm having this issue since I bought it. It was not much of a problem at the beginning since the signal was disappearing every hour. I updated the firmware hoping this could solve the problem but it got worse.

I don't have any particular issue with the antennas or the unit.

Apart from that, the WAP200 works perfectly fine.

The unit is located in a home environment. There is nothing particular around the unit, nothing metallic or whatsoever. I tried to put the devices (laptop, smartphone) at different places and they lose the connection simultaneously. So I don't think anything blocks the signal, it's just that the unit cease from broadcasting during a couple of seconds.

The signal come back automatically after around 15 seconds. The unit does not reboot. I have checked the uptime

Thank you for your time

Based on your response, it sounds like there may be an issue with the hardware. Please call into our Support Center and let one of the answering engineers assist you.

Cisco Small Business Support contacts: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

If you have any issues, please feel free to post here and I will see what I can do.

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:30 - 18:30 (UTC - 05:00)

I have exact the same problem. Every 20 minutes, it disconnects clients. First, I thougth it may be caused by a bad location under bad conditions. But meanwhile, I switched it with an other AP. Now, it is in my office and I can see, it disconnects periodically and simultanously all clients. 

I can't find any hint in the status messages, no alerts, nothing noticeable at the leds, ...