Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP200E Access Point drops connections

Tex Hemke
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Support;

I purchased a Linksys WAP200E Wireless-G Exterior Access Point – PoE and a HGA9N (9dBi) High Gain Omni-Directional Antenna through CDW Canada about three (3) years ago in April/2009. The first year it worked great and gave complete coverage throughout the Campground. The second year it started to become increasing less coverage and now in the third year, it has very poor coverage. I have purchased and installed a new Microcom HG2415U-PRO (15dBi) HyperGain Outdoor Omni Directional Antenna. This has NOT made any improvement so I am now thinking that the WAP200E Access Point is the faulty equipment. I have changed the channel to number 11 and still no improvement. The Signal Strength is only Good and then dropping to Fair and sometimes no signal at all. This is from a line of sight location that is only 60 yards (180 feet or 54.9 metres) away. There are no objects between the Antenna and the computer.

As the Linksys WAP200E Wireless-G Exterior Access Point – PoE is very expensive (over $400.00) and should have lasted more than one year, I would appreciate if your Technical Support could advise what I can do to make this unit work properly again. If the only solution is that I have to purchase a new Access Point, can you recommend one that would be a direct replacement and that would work better? One that uses PoE (Power over Ethernet – Linksys WAPPOE) and can use the Microcom HG2415U-PRO (15dBi) HyperGain Outdoor Omni Directional Antenna. I really don’t want to spend the money on this, but if that is the only solution, then I guess I will have to. I don’t think I can trust purchasing another WAP200E.

Thanks in advance for your attention in this matter. Please advise….

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tex,

A few troubleshooting steps I would recommend;

• Ensure the device is on the latest firmware
  • Upgrade or reload the firmware
  • Factory default the unit
  • Verify there isn't any structural damage
  • Verify everything is correctly in place, nothing loose or rattling
  • Verify the ethernet wire doesn't have any damage or loose connection
  • Swap out the ethernet wire
  • Verify the power source remains in tact
  • Try different switchports

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Thomas Watts, Thanks so much for the reply. I just finished doing the upgrade to the Firmware to version 2.2.5.0 from version 2.0.2.0 and I finally have the Full 5 Bars on my computer. The Signal strength is reporting as "excellent" now. I am very happy. I will monitor the signal strengthand hope that it stays strong. Thanks again....

Hi Thomas Watts, Well that fix lasted about a fulle 30 minutes. Now the signal strength is down to 3 bars and only showing Fair again. What a pain this is. I am totally frustrated. I am at a loss as to what to do.... I wish there was a replacement unit that worked....