cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 and 4410N as a repeater setup assistance

david.santel
Level 1
Level 1

I am setting up a wireless network for a remote office. I am using a WAP321 and 4410N as a repeater.

Can anyone point me to documentation on how to configure this topology? I know it's done with WDS.

Any pointers to documentation or tips would be much appriciated.

9 Replies 9

ihannich
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My name is Isabelle Hannich and I work as a Technical Writer for Cisco Small Business. Please refer to the link for the WAP321 Administration Guide. Chapter 5 (Wireless Settings) includes information on Work Group Bridge.

WDS Bridge connects Cisco WAP121 and Cisco WAP321 devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap121/administration/guide/WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf

Hope this helps,

Isabelle Hannich    

Cisco Small Business

Hi Clayton

Did I understand you correct. The WAP321 does not support Work Group Bridge with WPA2 (WPA Personal) with other APs (Access Points) not manufactured by Cisco? Why is that not mentioned in the documentation?

If it works, how do I have to configure it correctly? The Documentation WAP121_321_AG_en.pdf is ether not precise enough for me or I do not understand it... :-( Are there hidden things to be aware of?

Cheers Cristian

WAP321.jpg

Hi Clyton,

Sorry for the misunderstanding “Work Group Bridge” and “WDS bridge”.

According to your questions, I assume that you have not seen the attached picture (WAP321.jpg).

I try to connect via WAP 321 to an AP (Wireless) with Work Group Bridge. The two networks (copper LAN) those are located on the same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) should be connected (are in different Buildings). The AP acts as an Internet router and DHCP. If everything works right, I'll give the WAP321 a fixed IP in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. The clients (workstations) should get over the WAP321 LAN or WiFi an IP address from the AP.

Status today: WAP321 tells me that he is not connected with “Work Group Bridge”. So, no connection.

While reading the documentation about the 10th time, I noticed that I probably did not set the radio frequencies to the same channel (mentioned in the chapter before (WDS bridge)). I have to test this tonight (CET).

P.s.: Work Group Bridge is in my documentation from page 90 (and continuing)

That’s my situation. If you can give me a help, that would be great. I lost hours in trying different configurations even with other “test”-AP (WPA2, WEP and open network). No chance…

Cheers Cristian

Hi Cristian,

I was not refering to the Work Group Bridge but was talking about the WDS bridge. The documenation on page 88 talking about what is supported when it comes to the WDS bridge. As for Work Group Bridge, that is a different set up and configuration.

What are you trying to set up Cristian and what are you trying to accomplish?

csill
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to add another note to Isabelles post. I would follow the admin guide and I would look at the WAP4410ns admin guide as well.

It does look like they are made to work with just themselves based on the documentation but I did test this setup in the lab and I was able to get it to work with no security. The issue is once you add WPA-2 personal security that is when I was not able to repeat the signal anymore. Just set up the WDS bridge in the WAP321 and set up WDS repeater under AP mode in the WAP4410n. Also make sure the SSID and wireless channels are the same and you should get a reply from the repeating WAP4410n when you try and ping the ip address of the WAP4410n. I have only test this with just no security and WPA-2 Personal so I do not know if this would work with WEP or WPA Personal.

Again since the admin guide states that they will only work with themselves I cannot guaranteed that this set up will work with you but wanted to share my experience. It did seem pretty stable when testing in the lab but I never got a chance to place it futher away or transfer files to see how stable it was.

Here is a link to the WAP4410n admin guide as well.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap4410n/administration/guide/WAP4410N_Admin_Guide.pdf

raimis200
Level 1
Level 1

My problem is the same. My main AP is Cisco WAP4410N, i need to exstend network with Cisco WAP321, but this wap321 does want to see myWAP4410N device.  Or should i have to use WAP321 as main AP, and 4410N as additional?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

With regards to WDS Bridge for the WAP321 or the 121, it will only work between like devices.

This is documented on page 90 of the Admin Guide.

Before you configure WDS on the WAP device, note these guidelines:

• WDS only works with Cisco WAP121 and Cisco WAP321 devices.

• All Cisco WAP devices participating in a WDS link must have the following identical settings:

- Radio

- IEEE 802.11 Mode

- Channel Bandwidth

- Channel (Auto is not recommended)

In this case the problem is the Radio. The Radios used in the WAP321 is different tha that in the WAP4410N.

As Clayton, mentioned Work Group Bridge to the WAP4410N could be an option, but I have personally not tried that particular setup.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Cannot setup Workgroup brigde. Connection Status:               Disconnected . I read manuals ten time.  If it does not work, then i will try to get my money back...

I would call into the Support Center and let one of our Support Engineers work with you, As long as the devices are within warranty, which I am sure the WPA321 is, phone support is free.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: