Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 Lost time

arthur.lai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I just bought a WAP321 Wireless AP. I wonder why it cannot sync with our time server automatically. Every time I reboot it, the system time become "Fri Dec 31 1999 12:00:00 UCT".  I have to do the sync manually by clicking on the "Save" button under the menu Administration > Time Setting.

5 Replies 5

alepatte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business Forum.

I am very sorry that you have this issue.

I set up one of our WAP321 in our lab and was able to replicate this issue.  So, the best way to approach this is for you to give us a call at 1-866-606-1866 or contact us via chat and we will be able to create a case for you and assist you further with this issue.

Please make sure that you are registered at Cisco website and have a serial number handy when you contact us.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco Small Business Engineer

CCNA

Hi Alena,

Thank you for your reply.

I just submitted the problem to our local support of Cisco. They will follow up.

Thank you agian!

This issue can be pointed to the DNS server or incorrect setting in the network which caused the WAP not to sync to the NTP server.   The functionality of this feature is working fine after I done several tests against the public NTP server, Windows 2008 or Windows 7 NTP server with and without the DNS server enabled.

1) With DNS Server enabled, I do not have any issue to used either IP address or hostname.

2) For DNS disabled:

a- Enter hostname for public, Windows 2008/7 NTP server will failed to sync the time. And a reboot will put the WAP to default Linux OS time which is "Fri Dec 31 1999 12:00:00 UCT".

b- Replace the hostname in with its (public, W2008/7 NTP server) own IP address, the WAP responded instantly with the current time from the NTP server.

Notice: If the hostname or IP address entered and click on "Save" button, the time was not sync, meaning the WAP is not talk to that NTP server for some reasons (NTP server is not running, incorrect hostname or IP address, or DNS is not running in the network).

I would recommend to try follow test:

1) If the WAP is connect to the internet from your network, replace the default NTP server hostname to its IP address: 132.163.4.101

2) For your own NTP server, enter the IP adrress of your local NTP server.

==================================================

FYI: How to setup the Windows 7 NTP server:

1- Open the RegEdit window by type command "regedit" in the search field (Start=>)

2- Go to path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE=>SYSTEM=>CurrentControlSet=>services=>W32Time=>Config

* Edit the parameter called " AnnounceFlags" from value of 10 to 5 (click on decimal to display the value)

3- Enable the NTP server process by change the daemon value from 0 to 1. Follow path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE=>SYSTEM=>CurrentControlSet=>services=>W32Time=>TimeProviders=>NtpServer

* Edit the parameter called "Enabled" and chage value from 0 to 1.

4- Enable the NTP server service by go to: Start=>Cotnrol Panel=>System and Security=>Administrative Tools=>Sevice

* Click on the "service", a window popup. Go to "Windows Time" and start the service (if you like this to start automatically and you can set to that so each started each time this PC is started.)

Now you can set the WAP NTP to the IP address of your Windows 7 NTP server. The same steps can be done for any Widnows OS server that have the NTP based server build in. The Windows 7 has several type of OS, W7 home does not come with NTP server service but higher type of W7 OS does (Ultimate, Professional).

Hope this helps!

Hi Hung Doan,

Thank you for your reply!

The problem is not casued by DNS, because I typed IP address in the setting. The IP address is our NTP server that in the same subnet. The NTP server is Windows 2000 server that the service is working with other devices such as firewall & switch etc. normally.

Hi Arthur,

Thank you for the detail information.  Windows 2000 is using the SNTP (Simple Network Time Protocol) and any later version of Windows OS servers or Clients are using the NTP (Network Time Protocol).  Both protocols are using the same UDP port # 123 and many similarities in operation. However, there are some different in implementation between the two protocols.  I 'll updated you later on this issue in this forum and as for the functionality of this feature. This product was tested throughly with many NTP servers or network based NTP servers and feature is working fine.

For now, as a work-around, can you set the WAP to sync with another server (Prefer with NTP protocol support). This should work fine.  Thank again and I 'll update regarding of the support of SNTP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: