cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 not accessible by any means for configuration

dstrough1
Level 1
Level 1

I received a new-in-box Cisco WAP321 today and I am attempting to configure the device for our network, with a POE injector.

I have tried connecting it to our LAN, along with a PC, and the FindIT tool was not able to find the device. I also cannot find the device's DHCP address in the router's assignments, by searching for the MAC address.

I connect a laptop and the WAP321 directly to the router, check the DHCP assignments, I see my laptop come up but never the WAP321.

I connected the laptop directly to the WAP321, gave it a static IP (192.168.1.100 per this thread), and still cannot find the WAP321 via the FindIT tool or any 192.168.1.x address.

The WAP321 appears to not be getting a DHCP address from any sources, and I am never able to find it via the FindIT tool in either Firefox or IE, running both as admin.

Ideas? DOA?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Derek,

Try to reset the device to factory defaults:

To reset the device to factory default settings:

• To restore the device to the factory default settings, with the power on,

press-and-hold the Reset button with a bent paperclip for more than 10

seconds. (12-13 seconds usually works well)

– All of the lights will go off.

– Release the Reset button when power light turns on.

If you still cannot locate it either directly connected or on the LAN, it is DOA and you should return it to the reseller for replacement. If you are beyond the replacement window, please open a case with Cisco for RMA:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Derek,

Try to reset the device to factory defaults:

To reset the device to factory default settings:

• To restore the device to the factory default settings, with the power on,

press-and-hold the Reset button with a bent paperclip for more than 10

seconds. (12-13 seconds usually works well)

– All of the lights will go off.

– Release the Reset button when power light turns on.

If you still cannot locate it either directly connected or on the LAN, it is DOA and you should return it to the reseller for replacement. If you are beyond the replacement window, please open a case with Cisco for RMA:

www.cisco.com/go/sbsc

- Marty

I wasn't able to perform a reset, holding the button for an indefinite period of time never actually causes the lights to go off.

However, turns out I'm just an idiot and needed to RTFM (better) because I had the wrong IP that I was trying to reach it on when directly connected to a PC. 192.168.1.245 worked. I had read through the troubleshooting section without realizing it continued for another paragraph on the next page, with that vital information.

Derek,

Thanks for the update, happy to see you got it working.

- Marty

One more trick to reset this - for me the reset worked only when the device booted and get its fallback ip of 192.168.1.245. Then pressed-and-hold the Reset button with a bent paperclip for more than 10 secs at this time the device turned of all lights for all 10 secs. After I released - the power light goes amber and then its resets. My colleague tried to reset it just after they pluged in a power cord or power button press - it does not go for reset. Just nuance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: